White Labs WLP004 Irish Stout

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

White Labs WLP004 Irish Stout

Post by Legman »

Anyone have any good ideas to use White Labs WLP004 Irish Stout yeast in? I've made Reds and a Stout with it so far, but I was looking for something different. The description says it makes an "interesting" Pale Ale.

Any suggestions??? :?
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: White Labs WLP004 Irish Stout

Post by wottaguy »

Hey Legman....

How does a porter sound? I recently brewed a dry stout with that yeast and will be brewing an Irish Red this weekend and will be racking on to the yeast cake of the stout batch. I'll also be making an ESB but with Burton Ale yeast. Maybe an ESB would do ok with the Irish Ale yeast too?? or a Scottish ale??

Keep Brewing...

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Irish Ale Yeast

Post by Legman »

Haha, that's funny. I made an Irish Red and racked an Oatmeal Stout on top of the yeast cake. :lol:

I was possibly thinking of the ESB or maybe a Brown. Haven't made up my mind yet......maybe both.
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Racking onto yeast cake

Post by Legman »

Wottaguy,

What do you feel is the maximum number of times you can rack onto the yeast cake without cleaning out the fermenter?
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Racking onto yeast cake

Post by wottaguy »

Legman...

I've heard of ppl doing it up to 8+ times, but I do it 3 times tops, and that depends on what the beers and yeast strain were to start with. I like to start with a lower gravity beer then step it up to a middle of the road beer and for the last time do a big beer with it. After that, its time to call it quits. Also, depending on the trub situation after the second time around, if there's a lot of trub, I would probably take half of the cake out, maybe save it or give it away, then use the other half for the final beer. You could probably do this more than 3 times, but I wouldn't go more than 6 times...that's my personal limit and I rarely ever reach 6 times....as long as the previous SG isn't all that high and the hopping rates are normal..(no ipa's) then you can reuse the yeast. I just usually go 3 times max then start all over again...its easier to keep track of and insures that I have good yeast with a minimum amount of errant hitchikers that may come along for the ride. And if I have to use the same strain of yeast again, I plan to reach into the Yeast Bank and start a new starter.....and the cycle continues......lol

What are your thoughts about this?

Hope this helps!

(_)3

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by Legman »

Well, I had only done it once, so that's what I was trying to get a feel for. I normally just siphon a jar full out of the fermenter and save it for the next batch.
But I think 3 times seems like a safe amount. My main concern was sanitation and the build up of old trub. I wasn't sure how far you could take this.

........the yeast bank is great to have! :D :D :D :D
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by wottaguy »

yeah...sanitation is always a big concern when you do this and racking the yeast into sanitized jars is fine too.

Hail to the mighty Yeast Bank..!!!! My LHBS is going to miss me..lol!!

Also, I have asked all my brew buddies to let me know when their brewing and what yeast they're using so that I can join them for the session and also collect a yeast sample from them! Just think.....free yeast for the bank! Later on I can also share the yeast with my brew friends as well if they are in need of a particular yeast. This is going to work out fantastic!

(_)3

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
shaggyt
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by shaggyt »

If there were ever a chance to use the term Yeast Heads, this thread would be it...LOL!!!

I'm curious, how long does the yeast sit in the fermenter after the beer is siphoned off? Is it totally enclosed until the wort is racked onto the cake?

I was going to try this method this past weekend, but I freaked out and rack the day before brewing, washed the yeast, then pitched a 2 quart starter.
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE RE: Racking onto yeast cake...

Post by wottaguy »

shaggyt....

LOL on the "Yeast Head comment"! :D

I usually plan to rack onto the cake during the end of the brew session. When I am chilling the wort, I keg the previous batch then put the lock back on the primary until the chilled wort is at the temp I want to pitch. The yeast in the primary probably sits in the drained carboy for probably 20 minutes or less. Then I rack the new wort on and aerate, then shake the devil out of the carboy to get the yeast re-suspended, then put her to bed and wait. I have had batches start fermenting as early as 2 hours by doing this.

If you can't do this..or if you had a change of plans for your brew session (had to cancel), your method of yeast collection will do fine as well.

Thanks!

(_)3

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common