Issue re BTP hops utilization

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Issue re BTP hops utilization

Post by billvelek »

I just want to be sure that Jeff, Lathe, and the many brewers here who have rightfully earned a lot of respect due to their impressive knowledge about brewing, are aware of a new discussion under the forum -- BeerTool.com Web Site | BeerTools.com Tools. It has to do with discrepancies in hops utilization, and I hope that some of you will take a look at that discussion and add your opinions; it _might_ indicate a flaw in BTP, or else the website has a flaw, because there appears to be a definite discrepancy to me. I'm posting this notice because I know that it's easy to miss a thread if you are not normally looking at that forum. The thread started out as "Tinseth Formula", and the subject of my last post is "Why would the grain bill matter?"

Thanks.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
slothrob

BTP vs. Tinseth Utilization

Post by slothrob »

I tested a number of different OGs, starting gravities, and boil-off rates for a 60 minute hop additions and got identical values between BTP and Tinseth's Java Bitterness Calculator, which seems like it would be the gold standard.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

Thanks Sloth. I would agree if it matches Tinseth's own calc then we are ok. Even though I still use rager, since I have my palate dialed into this utilization.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)