Maris Otter 9.0 SRM in Beertools-should be 3.0 SRM

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
kitoog

Maris Otter 9.0 SRM in Beertools-should be 3.0 SRM

Post by kitoog »

Hello there
Maris Otter has an SRM of 3.0 yet beertools uses an SRM of 9.0 for it. I know I can edit it in my ingredients DB but I prefer using the online calculator. Would it be possible for someone to fix this so that recipes generated using Maris Otter have the proper colour.
thanks
derek
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

I'm not sure why you copy is showing 9.0 SRM, but I looked at the database on my PC just now and it has three entries for MO ranging from 2.5 to 3.5 SRM depending on maltster. Is there anyone in your household that could have messing with you DB?
BTP 2.0.22 (Linux (.deb) 64 bit)
BTP 2.0.24 (Windows 10-20H2)
BTP 2.1.0.9 Beta (Windows 10-20H2)
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

Same here

Default grain DB has three entries for Maris Otter

Crisp - 3.5°L
Thomas Fawcett - 2.5°L
Generic - 3.0°L

Those items are locked, are you sure you aren't looking at a grain in "My Ingredients" ?
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

Now I know what he is talking about. The Maris Otter malt on the online recipe calculator is 9 SRM.

I just entered a quick test using the online calc then imported in to BTP, sure enough the MO is way off.

Do a search for the online recipe - test maris
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
kitoog

Post by kitoog »

cheers for replies
The problem is if you use the recipe calculator on the Beertools site, which I prefer to use rather than Beertools program itself. Generate a recipe with the recipe calculator and have Maris Otter in it and then save it. Open the saved recipe with the Beertools program you will see that Maris Otter has an SRM of 9.0 .
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

for now you i'd just use the replace in recipe function, or better yet just use btp to design your recipes.
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
kitoog

Post by kitoog »

Using btp program atm to generate my next recipe. Still, I like the simplicity and ease in using the online recipe calculator. English 2-row can be subbed for MO if using online calculator .
derek
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Comparing on-line tools with BTP

Post by billvelek »

kitoog wrote:Using btp program atm to generate my next recipe. Still, I like the simplicity and ease in using the online recipe calculator.
Derek, I'm very intrigued by that statement. I've never used the on-line tools, so I went there to see why it would be easier or somehow better; unfortunately, I allowed my 'Gold' membership to lapse, so now I can't try it. The Gold was pointless for me; I think I downloaded a total of maybe four or five recipes the entire year, and that was just to experiment with the program. I didn't realize that 'Gold' was essential to be able to use on-line tools that might be better than the BTP program itself. I would have expected that the tools in the program that we've purchased to be just as good if not better than the ones on-line. Looking at the on-line recipe calculator, the only thing that I can _see_ there -- which I have already suggested/requested that Jeff/Lathe implement something similar in the BTP program -- is that the hops "Utilization Algorithms" (check boxes) can be seen right on the ingredients list. I still insist that there is PLENTY of room in the upper portion of the BTP screen -- like the long space to the right of the "Water Volume Added" window, or between the "Lock/Scale" drop-down menu for "Final Volume" [which can be shortened a bit] and the "Display" drop-down menu [which can also be shortened a bit] -- to put something like Utiliz.Formula: Boil Time [drop-down] Gravity Corr. [drop-down] Pellet Corr. [drop-down]. I think that they would be handier to use that way, and ought to be the sort of info that is imported/exported [if they already aren't], as well as appear on hard-copy printout. The right-click mouse over the appropriate window could bring up the graph.

Anyway, is there anything in particular that makes the on-line generator easier to use than BTP itself? Or is it just a matter of personal preference with something that maybe you're more used to using?

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
kitoog

Post by kitoog »

When I started using Beertools Bill ,I started off using the online calculator and I guess I just continued using it. I also brew at a mates house every so often and I can look up a recipe I saved online in my recipes or start a new recipe. My beers have being turning out well and hitting predicted OG so happy using the calculator. :D