Overpitching w/large starters

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

shaggyt
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Overpitching w/large starters

Post by shaggyt »

Lately, I've been pitching starters anywhere between 2-3 qts in size using White Labs vials with great results and super fast fermentations!!!

This week I brewed Monday afternoon and pitched the starter late Monday night. I took a gravity reading today as I saw no bubbles (they must have stopped overnight)...and it's done! By my count, that's almost 4 days total.

My beers have been good, but I'm wondering if I'm missing out on BETTER beer by overpitching.

That said, what's the downside to overpitching?
slothrob

overpitching

Post by slothrob »

Have you checked out the pitching calculator at mrmalty.com? 2-3 quarts doesn't sound like overpitching to me. Depending on your starting gravities and the type of beer you're making, 2-3 quarts could be the recommended pitching rate.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
shaggyt
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

mrmalty.com

Post by shaggyt »

I had not checked that site but I will.

I'm 12 batches into my obession and I've pretty much trial & errored my way to the larger starter.

I plan on letting the yeast do some clean up for a week or so then cooling in the garage before kegging.

This was the first time I re-pitched yeast from my last batch. I made a starter with it that was in the fridge for a week prior to pitching.would that cause the speedy fermentation?
slothrob

repitching yeast

Post by slothrob »

So, you harvested yeast and made a starter?

If that's the case, you probably started with a good amount of yeast from the harvest then grew a bit more in the starter and got rejuvenated.

Fast starts have a lot to do with high glycogen levels in the yeast, which, in slightly oversimplified terms, come from being recently fed and stored cold.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
shaggyt
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Thanks

Post by shaggyt »

Slothorb,

Yes...I harvested from my primary, washed, and made a starter. The starter was spewing out of the airlock (approx 3 qts in 1 gal glass jug) within about an hour of pitching and aerating...it was a first, I was amazed!!!

Also, thanks for directing me to mrmalty.com...answered lots of questions and explained alot of observed behaviors in regards to yeast.
slothrob

Repitching yeast

Post by slothrob »

I've had great luck with yeast repitched from my refrigerator within a week of harvest.

Good luck with the beer!
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP