Where should I place my fermentor

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

river water brewing
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Where should I place my fermentor

Post by river water brewing »

I am about to brew a batch of extract / specialty grain beer, I am using the 1084 / irish ale activator to brew a irish red ale with an OG of 1.049. I am trying to decide where I will place the carboy for primary and secondary fermentation. The inside of my home has a temp range of 70-76 and my garage has a range of 58-62. The note for this yeast indicate that beers fermented in the lower temperature range produce dry and crisp beers and this is my goal, but if the temp were to drop to 58 or even 56 degrees would this stall the yeast in this strain?

I am thinking about starting the fermentation in the house at the 70-74 degree range then moving the carboy to the garage after 24 hours or so, and doing the secondary fermentation there as well. Do you think this is safe?
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

That is too low. Put it in the house.

This yeast ferments well in dark roast worts. Beers fermented in the lower temperature range produce dry and crisp beers to fruity beers with nice complexity in the upper range. Ester production is enhanced with fermentation temperatures above 64 degrees F (18 C). Flocculation is low to moderate with filtration typically required.

Origin:
Flocculation: Medium
Attenuation: 71-75%
Temperature Range: 62-72F, 16-22C
Alcohol Tolerance: 10% ABV
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
river water brewing
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by river water brewing »

thanks so much for your reply!!! i am new to this so any help i can get is great!!
JG
Just trying to find the perfect batch!!!