Kegs and Nitrogen

Reactions to and impressions of commercial and home made beers and beverages. Travelling and experiencing beers from around the world.

Moderator: slothrob

jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Kegs and Nitrogen

Post by jayhawk »

I was having a Guiness at a bar the other day and I began to wonder if homebrewers can pour with nitrogen to create that nice creamy head that draft Guiness gets. Has anyone ever tried this?
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Nitro Pouring...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Yes, you can... but it costs !

1) You have to purchase 25% CO2/75% Nitro blended gas.

2) You have to purchase a new regulator to handle the higher pressure of the blend.

3) You have to buy a stout faucet ($100).

4) You will have to change your carbonation proceedures to be compatible with this method of dispense.

Here is my take: I did the nitro thing at one of the breweries I worked for and for more than just stout. It does produce a cool texture in the beer leading to a different mouthfeel. But... many people have long forgotten that the only reason Guiness went to this method of dispense was to better approximate a cask pour from a beer engine which produces about the same effect. So, I contend that you can either:

1) Modify your ingredient usage to produce a creamier beer texture and carbonate to a low volume of CO2 and pour through a stout faucet (preferred) or a regular tap.

OR...

2) Do the same as above, but serve it through a beer engine either via firken/pin or Corneilius cylinder.

I have done all of these variants and the differences between them were not noticed by most people with the exception being the cask pour, which most people thought was superior.

Eric
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Mesa - Thanks for the info

Post by jayhawk »

Hey Mesa, thanks for the reply. Wow, this sounds way to complex for me at this stage of my brewing evolution. Perhaps I will consider this option when I have my own house (currently I am a student living @ home w/ the folks) complete with self built bar and brewery. I will check back with you in 20 years so I can update my progress :)

PS Thanks for all your help. My level of brewing knowledge has increased umpteenth fold over the course of 2002, and many thanks go to you. My first all grain batch will be this week, and I am sure this is a hobby I will keep for the rest of my days as a beer drinker (read life). Chris.
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Yes you can

Post by dartedplus »

with a tap a draft system you can get nitrogen cartridges
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Tap a Drafts...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

I was aware that it was possible to pressurize with nitro cartridges on a tap-a draft, but can you use the system to carbonate to, and maintain a nitro to CO2 ratio of 75/25 ? Does the tap-a-draft accomodate a stout faucet ?

These abilities are essential to duplicate the Guinness pouring specifications which is what the original postor was enquiring about.

If this is possible with a tap-a-draft, I may get one to try at home. So far I have avoided this dispense method due to expense and the fact I already have a beer engine and firkins at home.

Eric
stouts
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

TAD

Post by stouts »

i have a TAD and you add the n2 after the beer is fully carbonated, it does make a creamier mouthfeel but its no guiness jay