DME Vers Liquid

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Bender
Light Lager
Light Lager

DME Vers Liquid

Post by Bender »

Is there a advantage of using dme over liquid? Which would be better for extract brewing? Or does it depend on the style of beer being made? For example is DME better for stouts and liquid better for wheat beers? Any help is much appreciated. The only thing I can come up with is it appears there are more choices with liquid. Thanks
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Differences

Post by brewmeisterintng »

LME quality as will as fermentability depends on the manufacturer. LME also seem to darken the final product more than DME. Yes, there seems to be a larger selection of LME but the quality of that LME also varies. DME has a longer shelf life.
I have become an all grainer a few years back and only use DME now for my yeast starters.
The bottom line is that it’s your brew/ style. Use what you like and are comfortable with. You will find that all brewers have their own opinions about specific ingredients as well as their processes.
Bender
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Bender »

James,
Thanks for the feedback. I have been using DME as well. While its a bit more $ I feel its worth it. Was just wondering.
Cheers
shaggyt
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

DME Vs. LME

Post by shaggyt »

I found that using all DME, I had an off flavor described as "twangy" by other brewers. I didn't really notice it until several batches in.

In batches where I used a mix of DME & LME, the twang was either undetectable or not present.

One suggestion I would make if you're not already doing so is to pitch a starter. I did not use starters when I was extract brewing and I think that had an impact as well...residual sweetness was occassionally to much for me.

Good luck.