Have we all died...or are we all just brewing...???

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Have we all died...or are we all just brewing...???

Post by wottaguy »

Wow...

I've been monitoring this board for a while...and no activity lately...is everyone brewing and if so, what are you guy's making?? I am taking a personal vacation,but am gearing up for this year's most flavorful beers to date....

On deck is an Irish Stout (OG: 1.038); then my APA (OG: 1.052 and a MCAB entry); then another ALT (OG: 1.048).

Still working on drinking my IIPA (IBU+ 110+) and can only drink a small bit at a time...LOL. It's still good and ageing gracefully too.

And the Amber is still going strong too....it is gracefully ageing nicely and getting better by the day.

Can't wait to brew again....I guess i'm gettin a little bored here.....LOL

I have about 200 lbs of grain to convert here......so I better get busy...LOL!

I hope everyone has a very happy brew year!

keep in touch...

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

I'm still here ;-)

Post by billvelek »

I don't post in these forums much because there doesn't seem to be much activity any more ... plus, I've been dealing with a serious personal problem for the past three months which limits my time for posting. I haven't even had the time to try to duplicate the mash-schedule/temperature issue which has been discussed. To me, the important information to have -- at least on the printout during the brew session -- is the temperature of the grain bed rather than what is collected. I can't see how 'what is collected' temp can be very accurate without BTP knowing what sort of a vessel it is being collected into -- I use open buckets, and it is whatever it is. I can, however, see the value of the suggestion for a tool that will convert volumes based on variable temperatures; that would be cool.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

My upcoming brew schedule.

Denny Conn's Rye IPA (anyone made this?)
Belgian Wit
Special Bitter
Marzen

Should be brewing the rye next weekend. Also got a robust porter ready for kegging.

Jaw

PS. I think the only time people post here is when they are having problems or confusion with the BTP software. Other sites seem to be more established for all things brewing, such as brewboard. The brewing network also attracts more people due to the podcasts.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

I'm brewing a Maple Nut Brown in about 10 minutes.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

schedule

Post by bfabre »

getting ready for the next batch a brown ale.
stout-ready to drink
black lager-conditioning for 1 more week
and thinking about a mild IPA
"B"
yaturaz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by yaturaz »

I have a busy schedule, but I am for sure going to get my brewing in.

Up next is a pumpkin ale out of the Zymurgy magazine a few months back. It was supposed to be ready by thanksgiving.lol

The last batch I brewed was an Irish red that came out awesome. That was the middle of DEC and I used mystery hops :?. I really have to figure out what kind they were. Could be any of the five that I marked with black permanent pen that rubbed off.

I have had requests for a jalapeno pilsner. I will probably get that done in the beginning of Feb.

also, I just put together a 15gal brew pot and will be able to brew larger batches of some of these:)
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by wottaguy »

Thanks for chiming in guy's....now i don't feel so alone...LOL

(_)3

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
yaturaz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by yaturaz »

No prob, It would be awesome if this placed picked up some! I visit this everyday and would like to have more to read. I plan on posting more when I get to brewing more :P
BurninBrewer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by BurninBrewer »

I am going to be doing my first taste of my most recent Mack and Jacks African Amber clone tonight, same basic recipe as last time with some hops tweaks(used some NZ hops)

Next up on the sched is possibly a wheat/heffe of some type and then back to the IPA's I always seem to come back to. Planning on having a special IPA timed to be done for a event I go to every year the first weekend of May in Vegas.
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Work, Work, Work

Post by Legman »

Man I've been working so much lately I haven't even had time to think about brewing.......and that's a bad thing. :(

But the time has come again! I got a 3 day weekend coming up and I'll be back at it. Planning on brewing an Irish Red and a Kolsch.
I also get to try out the first vial from my frozen yeast bank. I've been anxious to see if that really worked or not.

I can't wait to smell them grains and hops again!!! :mrgreen:
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Work, Work, Work

Post by wottaguy »

Work does get in the way at times. Glad you have the newly found time to brew again.

I brewed last Friday night and it went great. I used my sub-pump in our inground pool connected to my IC for chilling the wort and that worked great too. The pool's temp was at 50 deg or so and it worked out fine. I just recirculated the exit water back in to the pool! No wasted water there or use of any ice.

I'm interested how your yeast behaves and performs after your freezing method. I'm still headed on that road as my LHBS has a poor selection of yeast. They actually got me pretty upset last weekend as they didn't have S*%t for yeast. Kinda ruined my plans for brewing.

Well...anyways...please let us know your thoughts about how your yeast performs.

Thanks!

(_)3

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Frozen Yeast

Post by Legman »

Yeah, I'll let ya know. I got the day off today due to bad weather, so I'm making a starter from one of my vials. We'll see if it comes back to life or not.
I pulled the vial out of the freezer about 5 days ago and let it thaw in the fridge. It was frozen solid! I've got about 20 vials in my freezer right now.
This will be great if this works. I'll post the results soon.
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Frozen Yeast

Post by wottaguy »

I forgot to mention that the book that i picked up by that Pierre guy, was very good, but I don't want to get in to this process as deep as he does in the book. But still, it has some good techniques for yeast handling, but it didn't get into any freezing or long term storage. I just ordered some equipment vials and glycerine and fresh yeast, and will making up and freezing some yeast in the near future. I can't wait to do this and I hope it works out for us too.

Any action on your starter yet?

(_)3

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
shaggyt
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Where's my money?

Post by shaggyt »

I've been brewing as much as time and funds allow. I too check in just about every day to see what's happening, what kind of nuggets of great info I can find.

I just finished my first all grain yesterday, tentatively titled 6th Ring IPA (I'm a Steelers fan). 10# german pils + 2# dark munich...great experience, can't wait for the next paycheck!

I tried a experimental version of the continuous hop process (adding hops continuously throughout the boil)...I used 2 oz of Cascade whole leaf that I ground up (coffee grinder) and added 1 scoop every ten minutes. With 20 minutes left in the boil, I added 1 scoop every 5 min...time will tell if this was mistake, or pure genius...probably some where in between though...

Cheers
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Continuous Hopping

Post by Legman »

Well congrats on your first all grain! I've done about 15 batches of all grain and I love it! There's so much more control over your beer, not to say that there's anything wrong with extract. I made some really good beers with that. But as I learn more, the better they become.

On your continuous hopping.....I was teaching a friend to do all grain and we did something similar in his RyePa. If I recall, we used Warrior, Amarillo, Challenger and Kent Goldings through out the boil. I had never done that before and my first thought is this is really going to be hoppy. But to my surprise, it was rather smooth and not overbearing. I may have to try that again sometime.

I don't know if I would have used a coffee grinder, but hey, who am I to say? Experimentation makes this hobby what it is. I have an extremely hard time following instructions.....even my own.
:lol: Keep at it!