High gravity, add sugar in stages? carapils?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

wizzardofboz

High gravity, add sugar in stages? carapils?

Post by wizzardofboz »

I also posted this in ingredients...

This is the recipe I am using:
http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=8487

I want to get your thoughts on the carapils, I'm debating whether or not to remove it. I initially put it in for body and head (duh) but I've read in several places that it won't really help an extract recipe, in fact it will make it too sweet.

Also, would it be a good idea to add fermentables in stages to prevent sugar shock? I plan on doing that with the sugar, but should i save a pound of dme to add later too? If so what is the best way to go about adding fermentables in stages?
werd.
wizzardofboz

Post by wizzardofboz »

proper way to add fermantables in stages? anyone?
werd.
slothrob

sugar sdditions

Post by slothrob »

When making big beers, like this one, we add the sugar in stages. We wait until the initial fermentation starts to slow, then add sugar at 1/2-1 pound at a time, adding each subsequent addition as the fermentation slows again. I think this helps reduce the heat and stress on the yeast, which can be substantial in a big beer and lead to off flavors.

You can pasteurize the sugar in a small amount of water boiled for a few minutes, but sugar is essentially sanitary so you can add it directly to the fermentation. We've done it both ways with success.

I don't think you should need to add carapils to a beer this big. One of the reasons you're adding the sugar is to thin it out, so adding back carapils is a bit counter productive. I've never made one of these with extract, but you do often have problems with residual sweetness from extract. We mash these beers quite low to help get rid of that sweetness.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
wizzardofboz

Post by wizzardofboz »

Thanks.

I think I'll skip on the carapils.
werd.