Smoked IPA

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Smoked IPA

Post by brewmeisterintng »

I know most smoke the grains before the mash but I was thinging about smoking some cherry wood chips and adding them to the secondary. Thoughts????
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by wottaguy »

sure!!! Just let us know how it turns out!

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

In the secondary

Post by brewmeisterintng »

It's done. I took cherry planner shavings and placed them on tin foil on the grill and smoked them with pear wood for 30 minutes. Balled up the foil and put it in the oven for 10 minutes at 350 to sanitize and added a heaping TBS to my gallon jug. I am not commiting the whole batch to this just encase it doesn't work. Will leave it for two weeks, chill it to get everything to drop and then bottle it. :roll:
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: In the secondary

Post by wottaguy »

That's a good idea to do for experimental reasons. What style is this brew and what flavors are you shooting for with this addition? Please let us know your thoughts after the beer is evaluated. It sounds pretty interesting and pretty good too.

Well DUH...!!! I see that it is an IPA based style....and I guess that you want some kinda smokiness to it...!! <gimme a slap will ya??>

I recently made an amber with smoked malt <peated smoked malt> and just a touch of it at that 1oz., and it came out real nice.

Thanks!

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common