Schedule Step item query

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
mmmooretx
Light Lager
Light Lager

Schedule Step item query

Post by mmmooretx »

The items listed are: Mash-in, Infusion, Decoction, Direct Heat, Rest, Transfer, Fly Sparge, and Batch Sparge.

I have read all of the explanations for the above and am not sure what to use with the following brew system I am looking at finishing soon. I plan on building a RIM system to enable me to do step mash recirculating the sweet wort through a multiple copper loop in the Hot Liquer Tank (HLT), that is about 10 F higher than desired MT temperature, back to the sparge ring in the Mash Tun (MT).

My confusion is that this method seems to fit none of the top catagories as it is indirect heat, takes time X to ramp up 10-20 degrees F. Rest seams very clear. Once Mash is complete I plan on doing a standard sparge from the HLT to the sparge ring in the MT slowly (1-1.5 hr.) to extract all of the goodness until the brix value drops close to base water (or pointless to sparge more, brix tbd).

So my basic query is did I read the standard Schedule Step items incorrectly? Does there need to be an added item to the list to support this process? Can I effectivly use what is in the standard 1.5.2 version, if so how?

All constructive advice would be greatly appreciated and thank you for your time in advance.
Mike Moore
N5RWH
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

Sounds like a herms system to me. I think you would need to calibrate your herms heat exchanger. see here

Then set it as the heat source in a direct heat step.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
slothrob

heat

Post by slothrob »

Yes, I think that your system is still direct heat. From the perspective of the mash, It's all just heat conducted through metal, so after the calibration that jawbox suggests, the schedule tool should work fine.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
mmmooretx
Light Lager
Light Lager

Heat

Post by mmmooretx »

Thanks for the insight I would not have looked at it that way, but lets make the software happy!
Mike Moore
N5RWH