by now I should no the answer to this, but...

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

by now I should no the answer to this, but...

Post by bredmakr »

I use hop pellets and I put them in hop sacks. Should the hops be removed prior to chilling the wort? Or, can they be left in the kettle and removed after the chilled wort has been racked to the fermentor?
Team Beer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Hop Bag

Post by Team Beer »

Personally I remove the bag about a minute or two before the end of my boil just to be safe. However the bag has been boiled in the wort so it should be fairly sanitary. Probably a bigger concern than contamination would be the longer you leave the bag steeping in the wort the more bitterness you will introduce.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

My 2.5 cents

Post by Freon12 »

I would remove them as team suggests for the purpose of whirlpooling. I stir the wort around to a fast speed and let the wort set for 10-20min. covered. This settles the trub in the middle. The transfer to the kettle is remarkably clear after I do this and the hop bags can get in the way. I have also done the whirlpool with the bags in if there is a small amount hop weight.
I noticed the "dirty head" in the fermenter to be less dirty and the glass carboy easy to clean after a round of stirring.
Liquid Blur
Light Lager
Light Lager

Whirlpooling Q's

Post by Liquid Blur »

Sorry for being so ingnorant on the subject but I'm just wondering why you would whirlpool. I know you said it makes the trub settle in the middle of the pot. Is this so you can syphon from the side and not worry about too much sediment. How many people actually syphon their wort from the pot to primary. I suppose if you were only doing a partial boil, say 3 gallons, you could just use a funnel and screen right? I'd appreciate any feedback you may have. This post isn't meant to contridict Freon in any way. Like I said I'm an ignorant noob and am just curious. Thanks,
Liquid Blur
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Only recently

Post by dartedplus »

It was only recently that I did the whirlpool thing. Usually I just pour my kettle through a mesh thing that goes over my bucket to get most of the hops out. Plus, if I do it this way, I can put some hops in the mesh and as I pour the wort through it it kind of acts like a hopback if I want to get some additional hop character in the beer. But I will know more after this current batch of beer if it helps to clear it. I did notice that I left most of the hops in the kettle though. Ed
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Guesses

Post by Freon12 »

I sometimes assume that everyone has the same equipment and process that I have, this is a mistake. I will try to be more clear on the next posts.
Anyway, I have taps in the side of the kettle about 1" above the bottom, as I do full 5 gallon boils(5.5gal) I prefer not to lift anything or mess with siphons. In mini mash batches it would be good to use a sanitized funnel with a screen. I believe the whirlpool leaves haze causing protien behind in the kettle along with any irish moss whether draining or siphoning from the side. Hopr this helps your beer!
S.
Liquid Blur
Light Lager
Light Lager

Thanks Freon!!!!

Post by Liquid Blur »

It all makes perfect sence now. Thanks a lot!!!
Blur