Fructose and yeast

Physics, chemistry and biology of brewing. The causes and the effects.

Moderator: slothrob

xterra48

Fructose and yeast

Post by xterra48 »

I dont intend on home brewing anytime soon (im 18) but I cant seem to find a good answer to my question on the web. I know fructose in in apples and honey, but when people make alcohol out of these does, the fructose ferment like the glucose? or does it remain to make the drink sweet? Also, if it does ferment are there aditional byproducts, and does anyone know the chemical reaction?
robert4136

fructose

Post by robert4136 »

http://www.springerlink.com/content/x2458m74u2767718/

the abstract here say most yeasts are capable of fermenting fructose. The main end products should be the same although i would guess that there are different intermediates along the pathway to CO2 and ethanol.
slothrob

Fructose fermentation

Post by slothrob »

This looks like a good paper on fructose fermentation by yeast and the reactions involved.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Did you say that you are "10" ... as in years old?

Post by billvelek »

Did you say that you are "10" ... as in years old? The "im 18) " was a little cryptic to me, but that along with the comment "I don't intend on home brewing any time soon" gives me that impression. Anyway, maybe this is for a science project?

To answer your question, as far as I know different grains, i.e., types of grains such as barley versus wheat, varieties within types (think not only of two row versus six row barley, but also of the dozens of different types/brands of seed, like with tomatos), and where they are grown including soil and climatic conditions, and perhaps even varied malting procedures, will cause the grain to have different "starch profiles". That, and varied mash schedules, will yield different sugar profiles which will include different percentages of a number of different sugars, including maltose, maltotriose, fructose, sucrose, rubinose, etc., which, AFAIK, all all digestible by yeast. Dextrose, which varies mainly according to the mash schedule, is not fermentable. Lactose is also not fermentable, but it comes from milk rather than grains. It is my understanding that, using various pathways, the yeast break down more complex sugars into the simplest -- glucose, which is then fermented into alcohol. I _might_ be wrong about some or all of the above, but I did stay at the Holiday Inn Express. :D

Cheers, and good luck with your research -- and don't brew beer until you are old enough.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

He's 18. The forum automatically changed his "8" + ")" into 8).
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
robert4136

one cool guy

Post by robert4136 »

you could say the smily face with the glasses is a "cool guy" and the one in front would read, Im one cool guy. ..........yeah
slothrob

Re: one cool guy

Post by slothrob »

robert4136 wrote:you could say the smily face with the glasses is a "cool guy" and the one in front would read, Im one cool guy. ..........yeah
:lol:
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP