Easiest Way to Transfer Files between Computers

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
splashmike
Light Lager
Light Lager

Easiest Way to Transfer Files between Computers

Post by splashmike »

I like to work up recipes on my desktop but when I brew I keep a lap top outside. How can I transfer a BTP recipe from the desktop to the lap top?

I have flash drive that can store the media, but I'm not sure which files to look at to copy, which files to actually copy and then how to retrieve them and save them into BTP on my lap top.

Thanks in advance for any help.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Easiest Way to Transfer Files between Computers

Post by jeff »

Library assets including recipes are stored in a folder that is probably located in your documents folder. To verify its location, check the preferences panel in BTP on both computers.

Synchronizing this whole folder should do the trick. Make sure BTP is not running when copying these files.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
splashmike
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by splashmike »

Found it. At this point, there is only a a folder called "Recipes". But that's all I'm really interested in so I think this works. Thanks.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

splashmike wrote:Found it. At this point, there is only a a folder called "Recipes". But that's all I'm really interested in so I think this works. Thanks.
There should also be a file named "BeerTools Pro Library" which must be kept with the recipes folder. It contains the catalog for the recipes as well as all the ingredients, styles, equipment, etc.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
splashmike
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by splashmike »

I see this on my laptop but did not see this on my desk top. I'll have to go back and check.
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

Here's some food for thought, set up a network. I've done it and it works well because both PC's are using the same recipe folders. No running back and forth between computers with a flash drive. I used my desktop as the host and pointed the laptop to the shared files under "My Network Places". Of course the downside is the desktop has to be running for the files to be available. BTP will still run if it can't see the files on the network. It just reverts temporarily to the default settings. To get everything synched again you'll need to use your trusty flash drive.

EDIT 10/7/08: I just tried running BTP on my lap top with the host computer shut down and doesn't work anymore. This used to work in version 1.0, but doesn't work with version 1.5. Sorry if I lead anyone astray.
BTP 2.0.22 (Linux (.deb) 64 bit)
BTP 2.0.24 (Windows 10-20H2)
BTP 2.1.0.9 Beta (Windows 10-20H2)
splashmike
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by splashmike »

Jeff,

I've copied the files from my desk top folder "Recipies" to my lap top and visa versa, and while they are there in my windows directories, they do not appear in the subfolders within the program. I'm not sure why this is happening. For example, I created a Sessions subfolder on my lap top where I save and modify a receipe to reflect results from an actual brew session. I then copied the entire receipes folder, including the Sessions subfolder to my desktop. The files are there, they just don't show up in the beer tools folders when I'm actually trying to view them from within the program. Can you explain what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.
brewchez

Post by brewchez »

I have a similar problem to splashmike.

I used to run the previous version of BTP from my flash drive so I could just take the whole thing with me from computer to computer. (Work and home).

But the database file setup of the new software is confusing and it no longer likes the flash drive being popped into a new PC.

Suggestions?
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

splashmike wrote:Jeff,

I've copied the files from my desk top folder "Recipies" to my lap top and visa versa, and while they are there in my windows directories, they do not appear in the subfolders within the program.
The recipes folder must be kept with the "BeerTools Pro Library.rsd" folder which contains all the directory information used by BTP. If they get separated, you have to use the Library->Rebuild Library command. It is best to just keep them together though.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
bruerik
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by bruerik »

If you are not able to set up a network, I mean that you don't have more than one computer in house. You can copy the files to a flash drive so then you carry them. It will be an easy way of doing it. That is what I do for backing up my btp files and inventory. My flash drive also holds 16gb to help out too.

Erik
Macbook, Intel 2.2Ghz dual core, 4GB RAM. 13" display 1280 x 800, 320GB Sata Drive.