boiling pot

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

donshizzles
Light Lager
Light Lager

boiling pot

Post by donshizzles »

Are there any advantages/disadvantages of an aluminum boiling pot vs. a stainless steel boiling pot? I can get a 32Q used pot cheap but its aluminum and didn't know if that metal was bad ju ju possibly imparting metalic flavors in the water. Thoughts?
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Aluminum Pot

Post by Legman »

The taboo of using aluminum has been proven to be a myth. You can safely use aluminum for brewing/cooking with no health issues or off flavors.

I've been using all aluminum pot for my boiling kettles and for heating strike/sparge water. Aluminum is much less expensive than stainless and is also a better conductor of heat.

Aluminum is a softer metal so a little more care is need when cleaning.....but you shouldn't be using anything abrasive or caustic chemicals on any of your brewing equipment.

You can find info on the net about this. Here's just one source.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index. ... brewing%3F
slothrob

Aluminum pot

Post by slothrob »

Aluminum pots are great for brewing. Cheaper and good heat conductors. My Aluminum pot is also much thicker and more durable that my SS pot.

As Legman said, you just want to avoid cleansers like Oxyclean and Beer Line Cleaner or any acids that might degrade the aluminum or scrubbing that might remove the oxidized layer that protects the metal beneath. I find that a wipe with a damp cloth and a rinse gets the pot clean every time without the need of soap or anything stronger.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

I also use an aluminum pot for heating my liquor
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
beernut

Post by beernut »

I have been using a heavy gauge 30L aluminium pot for boiling wort now for around 10 years and it has become badly pitted inside. The outside is in pristine condition so obviously whats been going on inside the pot has caused the damage. I am in the proccess of replacing it with a 60L stainless boiler and would expect a longer life and easier to maintain. Only time will tell