Ok another calibraition problem

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
G-E-R-M-A-N

Ok another calibraition problem

Post by G-E-R-M-A-N »

Ok aside from any other problems I had from brewing my first all grain, I wanted to get a few opinions on my calibration for my 10G rubbermaid mash tun from home depot.

Here is the info that I got when calibrating.

Cylindrical tun is 12.9 x 12.9
Height is 18.3 in (inside)
Capacity is 10.2 (after it calculated measurements)
Dead space is .4 gallons. (this is using a SS false bottom)

Environment while calibrating is 76.6
Infusion volume is 3.5 gal
Infusion temp is 167.1F
After 5m temp is 159.8
After 65m temp is 151.0

I followed the proper calibration procedure using the exact volume that I would strike the grains with. (3.5)gal

I also used the temp that BTP said to strike with, without using any predetermined mash vessel for my recipe (while calibrating). (167.1F)

The problem that I have encountered is the mash temp should be ending at 155F with my grains. (this was put in to BTP before hand.)

After calibrating and then choosing my mash tun under mash in (Under schedule), it is saying to mash in at 166.13F!

This is clearly wrong. How could my mash in temp go down after choosing a vessel? It is clear even during calibration that it would never even go to 155.00 after 60m without grains.

Help me solve the mystery here. I missed my mash temp on brew day because I had no idea of this, and trusted the program. I have calibrated the vessel several times, with the same result.

Help!
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

You probably need to select a heating vessel. I know if I don't select a heating vessel then the strike temp is much lower (see below).

iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

sent you a PM
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
G-E-R-M-A-N

Post by G-E-R-M-A-N »

Ok I emailed you back the recipe. I didnt think that a heating vessel was necessary to calc strike temp for my cooler, but I guess so . That is very quirky. So I guess I will put my heating vessel into the program and see what happens. Does this vessel have to be calibrated as well?

Thank you for your help so far.
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

check your mail.
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
slothrob

Heating vessel

Post by slothrob »

The heating vessel doesn't have to be calibrated, that's only for calculating the time to boil.

If you don't choose a heating vessel, the program assumes that you have a directly fired mash tun, which is why the strike temperature is lower.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

I wish they would switch that around. I think most people do not have a directly fired tun.
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
slothrob

heating vessel

Post by slothrob »

It does seem to be a problem that comes up about once every week or two. Like the water expansion and pre-boil gravity questions. These really seem to be persistent problems for new users.

Maybe it would be best to default to assuming you don't have a directly fired tun, with a check box for those that do. That might be more obvious, since no one knows that they need to select a heating vessel until someone tells them.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
kevponce
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by kevponce »

I chanced upon this while trying to solve my own temp issues. It seems odd that when you add a heat vessel the strike goes up another 10 degrees or more. Is there that much heat loss when transferring liquid over to tun from heat vessel?
slothrob

heat

Post by slothrob »

It's the heat lost to the tun heating it up from room temp to the mash temp. It's based on your calibration values.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
kevponce
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

need exact method clarification

Post by kevponce »

I went to re-cal my tun today and realized that I was unclear as to the exact method.

my question is: Once the water is heated to the strike temp Do you emulate your method of adding it to the tun?. ie I have a pitcher marked .5 gallons and I dip it in the kettle and pull out .5 gallons at a time. Then normally I have to break up dough balls which takes some time, thereby more heat loss.

Or do you simply add the water as fast as possible close the lid and wait 5 minutes then check it? Because with that procedure I would imagine there is less heat loss.

For background I brought 3.5 gallons to 156. I then added 7 .5 gallon pitchers. I then emulated breaking up doughballs by stirring the liquid with the lid open for 5 minutes. I then marked the temp at 150 and closed the lid. I then checked after an hour and was at 142.

Clarification welcome