Calculating Mash Efficiency

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
rfoushee

Calculating Mash Efficiency

Post by rfoushee »

My apologies in advance if this issue has been addressed in the past. I searched the archives and didn't really find any informative answer.

I've been using ProMash for years, and one feature I always use for a brew session is the ability to measure my mash efficiency using my preboil volume.

I've downloaded the demo of BTP 1.5, and after spending a number of hours getting comfortable with the software and it's methods, I find I like it quite a bit.

The one thing I can't figure out how to do though, is calculate my efficiency based on a preboil gravity. I know you can hover over the 'Kettle Volume @ 212) value to get the tooltip for the estimated preboil gravity, and I'm also aware of the analysis tab where I can enter my postboil figures, but again, that's not exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a method to enter a preboil volume and a gravity reading, and have it calculate the efficiency. Can this be accomplished with BTP?

Thanks!
slothrob

Re: Calculating Mash Efficiency

Post by slothrob »

Set your preboil volume and adjust the mash efficiency value until the pre-boil volume (from the hover) matches the measured gravity. When the gravity is right, you've calculated your efficiency.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
derfburg21
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by derfburg21 »

This makes no sence, can someone help me out here. Preboil vol is "Kettle Vol @ 212"?
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Kettle Volume

Post by Legman »

Preboil volume is "Kettle Volume".
Set your preboil volume and adjust the mash efficiency value until the pre-boil volume (from the hover) matches the measured gravity. When the gravity is right, you've calculated your efficiency.
What Slothrob is saying, is to take you mouse pointer and hold it over the "Kettle Volume" and the preboil gravity will pop up.
slothrob

Re: Kettle Volume

Post by slothrob »

Legman wrote:Preboil volume is "Kettle Volume".
What Slothrob is saying, is to take you mouse pointer and hold it over the "Kettle Volume" and the preboil gravity will pop up.
Thanks, Legman. Yeah, I meant... 'until the pre-boil gravity (seen from hovering over the "Kettle Volume") matches the measured gravity'.

It seemed to make sense when I typed it :oops:
Last edited by slothrob on Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Mash Efficiency

Post by Legman »

Slothrob, I knew exactly what you meant. I'm just glad you did say that, 'cause I had never tried that before........and ya know what? My mash efficiency SUCKS!!! :x :x :x

I've gotta get my system dialed in better. I just recently started using a cooler mash tun, so it's all part of the learning process, I suppose.
slothrob

efficiency

Post by slothrob »

Glad to be helpful.
It took me a while to get my efficiency up where I was happy with it. I got a big increase with an improved crush, and a number of smaller incremental increases from improvements like minimizing dead volume and an optimized sparge.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Re:Efficiency

Post by Legman »

I'm still getting my grains milled at my local HBS. So I can't control that at this point. But X-mas time is coming......I may have to put in for a new grain mill! :mrgreen:
derfburg21
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by derfburg21 »

OK, I'm stupid, still can not make this work.
derfburg21
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by derfburg21 »

Can someone post a screen cap please?
derfburg21
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by derfburg21 »

OK, I know for a fact I got a 1.078 Preboil reading. Where does that go and how does that relate to this. My OG reading was 1.039.

slothrob

mash efficiency

Post by slothrob »

Your pre-boil gravity was 1.078 and your post boil was 1.039?
Something's not right.

If you started with 6.75 gallons at 1.039 and ended with 6 gallons, your final gravity was 1.044.

If your pre-boil gravity was 1.039, then your efficiency of 62.8% would be correct.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

something doesn't make any sense
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
Bobby_M
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Bobby_M »

Are you talking literally about MASH efficiency (how well you covert) or do you mean total preboil mash/lauter efficiency (how well you convert AND extract)? You mention a gravity reading of 1.078 and the only thing I can think of is that you're measuring first runnings gravity.
Bobby_M on Homebrewtalk.com
HP DV9200 Laptop, Intel T5500, 2 Gig RAM, Windows Vista, 17" widescreen display at 1440 x 900 and 32 colors.

my youtube vids: www.youtube.com/bobbyfromnj
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

derfburg21 wrote:OK, I know for a fact I got a 1.078 Preboil reading. Where does that go and how does that relate to this. My OG reading was 1.039.
I know this is probably a stupid question, but, did you perhaps have a 10.78 Plato reading rather than a 1.078 gravity reading? :?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff