White Spots in bottles

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

starkat

White Spots in bottles

Post by starkat »

Hi guys, quick question: I just checked my latest beer, a belgian tripel. It's been in the bottle for 2 and a half weeks, and noticed some white floating spots that seem to be clinging to the glass.

I didn't notice these 2 days ago when I checked, so I think they're pretty new. If I spin the bottles, they drop to the bottom. I'm pretty sure they're yeast, but I thought I'd run it by the forums.
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

White Spots in bottles

Post by bfabre »

I didn't notice these 2 days ago when I checked, so I think they're pretty new. If I spin the bottles, they drop to the bottom. I'm pretty sure they're yeast
I have never had yeast float in which you have mentioned. Sound kinda of spooky. You have a valid concern.
"B"
slimsparty
Light Lager
Light Lager

white spots

Post by slimsparty »

I had some of these in an APA I just conditioned. it was like they werre holding to the side by static electricity or something.

the brew is fine though.
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

: white spots

Post by bfabre »

Very good then
"B"
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

re:white spots

Post by Legman »

I also had the same thing on a batch a long time ago. I was concerned about it, but in the end the beer was fine. Wait and see.
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

It's a bacteria infection

Post by brewmeisterintng »

It doesn't have an initial effect on the beer but don't hang on to it too long. I had the same thing that eventually formed a white ring at the neck area. I drank the whole batch (not in one sitting mind you) and never had any problems. I wouldn't sent this one to a competition though :D