New to program having great difficulty using it

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
mjones

New to program having great difficulty using it

Post by mjones »

I purchased the BeerTools 1.5 and am also a gold member. I have been cruising what info I can find on BeerTools.com website and have gone through the tools on the website. I have seen reference to screens and programs that I can not figure out how to access. The only screens and programs I have been able to get into are the Recipie Generator, Recipie Calculator and Beer Analysis. Where do I get to the "template configuration", all the graphs I have seen, "mash designer", "my equipment" settings, "heat sources", "my packaging" and I don't think I have been able to "drop & drag" anything. So far I am very frustrated by this program. Is there a manual that can be downloaded? Please Help!!!
Michael Jones
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Tools on BeerTools.com & BeerToolsPro-1.5 are not same t

Post by billvelek »

After you purchase BTP, you need to install it on your computer and then run it, starting it like you would any other program -- using your 'Start|Programs' menu, or an icon on your desktop, or whatever. The program runs independently of the Internet, and does not use nor interface in any way, shape, or form, with the WEB-SITE tools that you have mentioned -- 'recipe generator', 'recipe calculator', and 'beer analysis'. The only connection between BeerToolsPro and the website (and your Gold membership) is that you can use BTP to download recipes from the website, and as a Gold member you are able to download a greater number of recipes each month. Note that you do NOT need to be online while running BTP, whereas you obviously do in order to run any website tools.

Assuming that you have installed BTP, when you run it you will see the normal 'Help' command on the top menu line; click on it and you will see "Help Topics" and "User's Guide" -- they used to be different but now they read exactly the same except that the "User's Guide" contains images of different screen shots and therefore should be easier to understand. I can't figure out why they are both there except perhaps because the "User's Guide" is an Adobe file which requires that you have something like Acrobat Reader. Maybe there are considerations for MAC users, too; I don't know.

Anyway, that should get you started. Install ... Run the program ... Read the Guide ... and don't hesitate to ask questions here. Good luck.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
slothrob

downloading BeerTools Pro 1.5

Post by slothrob »

I think, in order to download the program, you need to click the link "My BeerTools" in the red bar near the top of the BeerTools.com web page. This will require you to log on, then a set of tabs will appear. One of the tabs will say "Downloads". Click on that tab and you should see where you can download the program that Bill is talking about.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Slothrob is correct

Post by billvelek »

Yes, I skipped the part about using the BeerTools.com website to obtain your download of BTP; I assumed that you had already gotten it since I would imagine that Jeff and Lathe (the developers) would have, upon purchase, at least sent you some email instructions and your 'License Key' which you will need to unlock the software. If you ever misplace your license key, it should be available to you on the download page after you log in, but I recommend that you save it someplace else in case the website goes down and you need it.

After you install your software and ensure that it is running, my suggestion to you -- if you are an all grain brewer -- is that you calibrate your mashtun first before trying to jump in and do any recipes; it will affect your strike and sparge temperatures, and volumes if you have any deadspace. Just follow the instructions in the "User's Guide"; read "Configuring Equipment Settings" on pages 17 and 18. I never bothered to calibrate my "Heating" equipment because it is not really essential to a recipe, and it varies so much depending upon how I have the propane knob adjusted and outside temperature and wind, etc. Second, go to 'Edit | Preferences' on the menu bar and set them; that's easy to do. Third, set up a basic recipe with your typical kettle volume and at least an estimate of your 'boil off' and efficiency rates (you can fine tune that later), and a typical 'schedule', and then use the command 'File | Make Default' to save your info as your default template so that every time you start a new recipe it will already be there to use (you can still change it when necessary). If you do any more complex recipes, like a decoction or a multi-step mash, you can also save that as a 'template', too, but don't use it as your 'default' template; just 'load' it when you need it.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
mjones

Beer Tools problems

Post by mjones »

Hey,
Thanks guys for your help and advise. I am sure I will have more questions soon.
Mike
Michael Jones
mjones

Post by mjones »

Aparently, I didn't register my program. I could have sworn I did that. Seems to be working OK. Thanks again.
Michael Jones
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Thanks!

Post by jeff »

mjones wrote:Aparently, I didn't register my program. I could have sworn I did that. Seems to be working OK. Thanks again.
I'm glad that you got some help. I am out of town right now, so I am a little out of touch. Thanks everyone!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff