FG= 1.002

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

slothrob

thin beer

Post by slothrob »

A beer that finishes at 1.005 or less is certainly going to be thin for my taste.
What ingredients did you use?
It's usually pretty hard to get a beer to finish that low, even if you want to, without a lot of sugar.

I'm not sure about the slimy feeling, but it sounds like you're drinking the beer out of the bottle, so it might be the yeast at the bottom of the bottle. You really need to drink homebrew out of a glass. Pour the beer and leave a little bit of liquid and the yeast in the bottle. The beer will taste a lot better out of a glass than a bottle, anyway.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Cappy
Light Lager
Light Lager

Slime beer.

Post by Cappy »

Hi Slobthrob,

Thanks for the reply. I made this beer from the Brewer's Best kit for IPA. It's an extract beer. I do drink it out of a glass but it's still slimy. Not too bad for me but hard to explain to guests.

Oh well. My Russian Stout, also from a Brewer's Best kit, should be ready in a week. Hope it's better.

Eric
slothrob

Buttery, maybe?

Post by slothrob »

Could it be described as buttery?

Like the flavor of the artificial butter they use on popcorn? If that's the case, it could be diacetyl. That can be a "normal", but undesirable product of fermentation, especially from certain yeasts. It can also be a sign of contaminating bugs, like wild yeast. That would fit with your low FG.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Cappy
Light Lager
Light Lager

Could be diacetyl.

Post by Cappy »

I guess it could be diacetyl. Wikipedia says that at low levels diacetyl can impart a slippery feeling to an alcoholic beverage. But there is no buttery flavor so maybe I just have a minor case of diacetyl.

I think that's a definite maybe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diacetyl