Calibration kettles with lids?

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
homerjay

Calibration kettles with lids?

Post by homerjay »

I'm calibrating my brew kettle and the kettles I use to heat up my water. I haven't been using the lids on the test, should I?
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Calibration kettles with lids?

Post by jeff »

homerjay wrote:I'm calibrating my brew kettle and the kettles I use to heat up my water. I haven't been using the lids on the test, should I?
The 60 minute rest in the calibration test provides data that helps BTP predict cooling rate during periods of rest in the mash schedule. If you usually leave the lid on during these rests then it may be best to calibrate with the lid on. If you find that your mash is losing less heat than predicted, you can lower the heat transfer coefficient for your vessel. A coefficient of 0 means that no heat is lost.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
homerjay

Post by homerjay »

OK, so if I just use the kettle for heating strike water and Boiling wort it won't matter? I mash in a cooler.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

homerjay wrote:OK, so if I just use the kettle for heating strike water and Boiling wort it won't matter? I mash in a cooler.
I personally don't think it's as critical. If anything, you might find that you have slightly shorter heating times than predicted if using a lid because heat loss is reduced. At best, BTP provides approximations of heating and cooling times. Actual results will often vary. So if you notice a pattern of inaccurately predicted heating or cooling times, you can adjust your heat transfer values accordingly.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
homerjay

Post by homerjay »

Thanks for the quick response.