What do you want to see in session recording?

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

just-cj wrote:I may have mentioned it before, but I think having the recipe and the actual brewday data in the same file is a lot more convenient. Then have a "compare" menu item -- click on that and the differences between how you designed the recipe and how it actually came out on brew day would be highlighted. Even have it so that you can brew the same recipe several times, with each of the brewdays recorded in the same file. To me, this is much more convenient than having two separate files, one with my recipe and one with my brewday.
The ways I've pictured this have all seemed visually confusing. Of course there's always room for elegant design!

But... another possibility would be to incorporate both ideas. I'd like my brewday-recipe file to be reletively clean so that I can find the info I need easily. The primary-recipe file, however, once I've written the recipe, could get cluttered with all the cumulative info without being much of a bother.

I think it would be great to have the primary-recipe link to all the brewday-recipes and acquire all the useful data as a history file. It would be really useful to be able to see that every time I make a recipe I hit the OG or that each time I repeat it my efficiency drops, indicating I have a problem with my system. Or to see a chart of FG's with indications of which yeast had been used. The list of important data points seems reasonably short. Displaying all the slight ingredient changes between multiple sessions could get a bit confusing, though.

I wouldn't mind having a feature like this that was time dependent but recipe independent for a limited set of brewery parameters like efficiency, attenuation, and boil-off. This would allow a graphic display of brewery parameters over time to monitor how well the brewery's running, how mash temperature affects FG, or how a given yeast typically attenuates in your hands. This seems more ambitious.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
etbandit
Light Lager
Light Lager

Re: What do you want to see in session recording?

Post by etbandit »

lathe wrote:What do you want to see in session recording?

Let us know what you think makes session recoding useful.
A feature for session recording:

To be able to track ones fermentation graphically. Ie: To be able to log the SG of ones ferment from day to day and have BTP plot SG and %ALC vs. time graphically. This will allow users to check consistency of brews and the fermentations.

Refer to image below:

http://thebaysidebrewers.googlepages.com/Chart.tiff
warthog
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by warthog »

etbandit wrote:

To be able to track ones fermentation graphically. Ie: To be able to log the SG of ones ferment from day to day and have BTP plot SG and %ALC vs. time graphically. This will allow users to check consistency of brews and the fermentations.

Refer to image below:

cool chart et. how do you generate it? is it just from taking a bunch of sg readings, or is there a formula? i'm guessing you just take a reading every couple of days.
PC 2.6ghz cel, XPpro,2gbRAM, 1920x1200
etbandit
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by etbandit »

warthog wrote:
etbandit wrote:

Refer to image below:

cool chart et. how do you generate it? is it just from taking a bunch of sg readings, or is there a formula? i'm guessing you just take a reading every couple of days.
Use Excel and plot SG readings (left Y-axis) vs. days as well as %ALC (right Y-axis) vs. days.

It would be great if this was a feature on BTP. A comparison of this type of information from brew to brew would improve consistency of fermentation and/or allow you to determine where during the ferment things went wrong.
slothrob

Charting Gravity

Post by slothrob »

While this is cool, I don't think many brewers take enough gravity readings to fill out a chart like this.

More broadly useful, I think, would be a way to chart % Efficiency and % Attenuation between a group of selected sessions.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Charting Gravity

Post by billvelek »

slothrob wrote:While this is cool, I don't think many brewers take enough gravity readings to fill out a chart like this.

More broadly useful, I think, would be a way to chart % Efficiency and % Attenuation between a group of selected sessions.
Yes, I think slothrob's suggested would be more widely used. However, even that would, in my opinion, have to put at the very bottom of the list of things that would make BTP the most useful. But maybe we will eventually see it.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
warthog
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Re: Charting Gravity

Post by warthog »

slothrob wrote:While this is cool, I don't think many brewers take enough gravity readings to fill out a chart like this.

that was kinda what i was hoping that etbandit would say. it would be theoretically possible to do this. however, after giving it some thought, it would be difficult since there is are many variables involved.

we know its logrithmic, and yeast growth rate will depend on the strain (floculation and attenuation); % fermentable sugars; initial yeast count; average fermentation temperature. i suspect that a widely varying fermentation temp would prevent getting good results from using the average temp, but all of us keep the fermentation temp spot on don't we :)

i'll give this some thought. i might make a spreadsheet calculator for this.

etbandit: can you pm me please? i'd like a copy of any of those excel files you might have.
PC 2.6ghz cel, XPpro,2gbRAM, 1920x1200
elothe

Post by elothe »

A way to record pre-boil gravity and an estimate of what gravity to expect at the end of boil.
slothrob

gravity recording

Post by slothrob »

elothe wrote:A way to record pre-boil gravity and an estimate of what gravity to expect at the end of boil.
Hovering over the Kettlel Volume field will display your pre-boil gravity. Adjust the volume and efficiency to get this to equal your actual measurement.

Hovering over the Final Volume displays your expected gravity at the end of boil. Adjust your Evaporation Loss to get your actual measurement.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
elothe

Re: gravity recording

Post by elothe »

slothrob wrote:
elothe wrote:A way to record pre-boil gravity and an estimate of what gravity to expect at the end of boil.
Hovering over the Kettlel Volume field will display your pre-boil gravity. Adjust the volume and efficiency to get this to equal your actual measurement.

Hovering over the Final Volume displays your expected gravity at the end of boil. Adjust your Evaporation Loss to get your actual measurement.
Thanks a lot!