[BTP 1.5] Master Ingredient Database vs. My Ingredients

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
bpylant
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

[BTP 1.5] Master Ingredient Database vs. My Ingredients

Post by bpylant »

I just installed v1.5, and when I launched the app for the first time there were two hops listed under "My Ingredients," Summit and another that I don't recall. I figured this was an oversight in the default template file, and since I have neither one on-hand in my inventory I deleted them. Turns our they are not listed in the main (and AFAIK uneditable, see below) master ingredients database, so now they are gone for good.

If this is correct and not some weird fluke with my installation, I suggest that they be added to the master ingredient database at the first updater. (I see no way to manually add them myself, which leads me to...)

On the topic of the master database, I don't like how I can't edit the details in the master database like I could in v1. Previously, I could edit the master database or the ingredient in a specific recipe. For example, if I found that the Cascade my local shop carried was consistently a different AA than what BTP had it listed as (which is true BTW), I could change it globally for all future recipes. If, on the other hand, I found that they got an odd lot in just once, I could change it in a recipe file for only that recipe/batch.

On both of the above items, maybe I'm missing something? Or misunderstanding how v1.5 is set up to handle the ingredients and the database?
BTP 2.1.2 64-Bit
Database 11.1
macOS 12.2
MacBook Pro (14 Inch, 2021)
32GB RAM
slothrob

Editing database

Post by slothrob »

Ah, but you can edit the ingredients in My Ingredients.

Think of the master database as the general ingredient descriptions. My ingredients is the customizable list that allows you to adjust, for example, your %aa and then use them in future recipes. If you have 2 batches of the same ingredient you can have both customized, then delete one when it runs out.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Editing database

Post by jeff »

slothrob wrote:Ah, but you can edit the ingredients in My Ingredients.

Think of the master database as the general ingredient descriptions. My ingredients is the customizable list that allows you to adjust, for example, your %aa and then use them in future recipes. If you have 2 batches of the same ingredient you can have both customized, then delete one when it runs out.
Thanks for helping out :D nice to know someone's got your back
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
bpylant
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by bpylant »

jeff wrote:Thanks for helping out :D nice to know someone's got your back
Hey, not like I was being snotty...
:shock:

So, I think the important bit I missed was that My Ingredients is not exclusively for my on-hand inventory, but anything that I am using or plan to use, or have customized the data for, regardless of whether I have it on-hand or not. Correct? At first glance I think I prefer the way it worked before, and was hoping that v1.5 just added an inventory feature, but in all fairness I'll work this way and see how it goes.

Back to part of my original post: those two hops were listed under My Ingredients by default, and do not appear in the master (uneditable) database. So that needs to be fixed for a future update.

Also, Wyeast is misspelled in the master database on every entry. (It is not spelled with a capital Y.) This one has bugged the crap out of me since v1.0
http://www.wyeastlab.com/
BTP 2.1.2 64-Bit
Database 11.1
macOS 12.2
32GB RAM
slothrob

database

Post by slothrob »

I wouldn't take offense, none was intended. Everyone's just trying to help.

I think the 2 databases were a way for the programmers to deal with people being able to exchange recipes, or something like that. It actually can work in your favor, though. Once My Ingredients gets populated with all the things you usually use, you have a much shorter list of items to scan. It's great that there's 31 kinds of Munich Malt in the main database, but I really only use 2 or 3 of them.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

bpylant wrote:Back to part of my original post: those two hops were listed under My Ingredients by default, and do not appear in the master (uneditable) database. So that needs to be fixed for a future update.
Those two ingredients were inserted under "My Ingredients" the first time BTP 1.5 ran because it detected that those were ingredients that you edited in a previous version. They were preserved and placed in "My Ingredients" so you wouldn't lose any of your work.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
bpylant
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by bpylant »

I wouldn't take offense, none was intended. Everyone's just trying to help.
I didn't, I was just kidding (hence the emoticon afterwards). Normally when someone says "thanks for getting my back" it refers to helping them defend themselves, but I know nothing of the sort was happening here.

jeff wrote:Those two ingredients were inserted under "My Ingredients" the first time BTP 1.5 ran because it detected that those were ingredients that you edited in a previous version. They were preserved and placed in "My Ingredients" so you wouldn't lose any of your work.
Ahhhh, makes sense... neither one is in the main database, though, so I guess they weren't in v1 either (which might be why I edited them in the first place, I don't recall). I guess BTP 1.0 was keeping track of "my ingredients" vs the stock database even though it wasn't being obvious about it?

Unfortunately I deleted them and they're gone (from v1 and v1.5). I know one of them was Summit, which IMO should be included in the main DB.
BTP 2.1.2 64-Bit
Database 11.1
macOS 12.2
32GB RAM
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

bpylant wrote:Unfortunately I deleted them and they're gone (from v1 and v1.5). I know one of them was Summit, which IMO should be included in the main DB.
There is a way to get them back but it requires editing some XML and deleting your current DB. If you have done a lot of editing to your current ingredients, equipment, etc. then you probably want to quit while you're ahead. If you don't have anything to lose, delete your DB file and edit your prefs file. BeerTools Pro should not be running while performing the following steps.

First search for "ver1_db_sync" in Spotlight. Open the file "Prefs.xml" and change the value of "ver1_db_sync" to "False". Save your changes.

Second, search for "BeerTools Pro Library.rsd" in Spotlight. Find the file and delete it (or rename it just in case you want to restore it later).

Finally, start BeerTools Pro and see if your ingredients appear.

I think this will work, but I am not 100% sure.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff