Beers -N- Burns

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Beers -N- Burns

Post by Legman »

I was brewing with my 3 tier, 2 burner system today. But one of my burners had petered out on me, so I had to use just one burner and juggle kettles around some.
Everything was going just fine, until I had to move my mash tun to heat the sparge water. As I picked up the kettle, it stuck to the burner stand and fell over onto my leg!
So there I was standing there with my mash in both hands and a !@#$ hot burner stand laying on my bare leg. I wasn't about to drop my mash!
It sure made a nice sizzle though! OUCH!!! :x

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2015/283 ... 1a.jpg?v=0
caughtinamosh87
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by caughtinamosh87 »

Ouch is right!
shaggyt
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Feel for you

Post by shaggyt »

Legman...sorry for the misfortune...good save on the beer!!!

I hope you have an Aloe plant near by...they're pretty effective for most burns I've had...cut, squeeze, and apply.

And I though my 3 stitch laceration on my forearm was bad (broke my 5 gal glass carboy when cleaning it on Labor Day)...
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

You took it like a man ...

Post by billvelek »

Good job. Kind of reminds me of an old movie I remember seeing -- I think it was called something like "Kung Fu Brewer" -- where these Chinese Ninjas were brewing beer, but they forgot to bring some pot holders with them. Well, they didn't have propane back in those days -- they just sat their kettle on an open fire -- so they couldn't just turn off the gas, and I guess they didn't have anything to put the fire out, either. They came to the end of the boil, and so as to not deviate from the hop schedule, one of them lifted the kettle off of the fire using his forearms. Coincidentally, the pot left burn marks that looked like little dragons on his forearms, so I believe they called that batch "Dragon Ale". Anyway, it was a pretty neat movie, and I'd like to try that brew. Anyone have the recipe?

Hope your leg gets better.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Beers -N- Burns

Post by Legman »

Yeah I took it like a man alright. Had a tear in my beer. :oops:
Well, I had to rename that brew to "3rd Degree Burn Brown". Hehee

I don't have an Aloe plant, but I am treating my wounds with 1 pint of English Ale per hour. I think it's starting to work! :lol:
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

3rd Degree Burn Brown

Post by bfabre »

I think you took the sanitation step a bit too far. :wink:
I hope the scalding was not too bad. Did it stop with the red inflamed 1st degree or was it the more sinister blistering of the 2nd.
"B"
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Beers, Burns & Infections

Post by Legman »

Well, finally broke down and when to the doctor today. My leg was hurting so bad, I could hardly walk on it. The verdict: very bad 2nd degree burn and the beginnings of an infection. :cry:

Man my leg hurts............but I can't wait to taste my new brown ale! Hehe!!! :lol:
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

Beers, Burns & Infections

Post by bfabre »

Dude, burns suck!! I hope it gets better soon so you do not miss too much work.
On the bright side of things it was not the taste buds :D
"B"
shaggyt
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Missing work?

Post by shaggyt »

Hope you have enough brew in the inventory to get you through :lol: !

Best of luck Legman!!!
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Back in the saddle

Post by Legman »

Well, infection's all gone and it's 60% healed up. Now it's time to get back to brewin'! Got all my grains and stuff yesterday and I'm gonna fire up the burners as soon as it's daylight enough for me to see.
I'll be wearing long pants and shoes around the burners from here on out. Lesson learned.:mrgreen: