Feature Requests Archive A

Suggestions and discussion about upcoming features in future BeerTools Pro releases.
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: You're right ... I was wrong

Post by just-cj »

Bill,

Thanks for your post -- glad you agree. I really didn't mean any disrespect to you -- your dedication to BTP is greatly appreciate!

cj
billvelek wrote:After reading your post and giving this some further thought, I have to agree that I was wrong. This would be a good feature and there are a couple of reasons that I can think of now why it ought to be eventually incorporated into BTP:
1. Not everyone is going to find this thread or otherwise know about the timer that djavet referred us to, so having it as a part of BTP will ensure that all users of BTP can be easily aware of it; and
2. By making it an integral part of BTP, values can automatically be set in the various timers according to the times that we have already entered for hops, etc., on our ingredients screen. Not only will that make it easier and quicker by avoiding the need for double entries, but it also eliminates errors because when you'd make a change in your schedule the timer would automatically change so you won't need to remember to do it.

My earlier response was no doubt a sub-conscious self-interest of discounting something I don't think I'd personally need or want in order to help protect my own priorities, and I'm sorry that I was just being selfish. Basically, the root of the problem is that I have been concerned that we'll _never_ see all the things that we'd like, and _might_ not even see some of the more basic things that we really _need_ fixed. However, I've read Jeff's recent posts in another thread which admits that he is behind but indicates that he is apparently taking a renewed interest in things, so maybe we'll start seeing some progress again like we had when BTP was first released.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
iMac 20", 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2Duo, 4 GB Memory, OS 10.5.6, resolution 1680 x 1050.
Check out Baird Brewing
engler

Other schedules

Post by engler »

I see this has been mentioned, but I'd like to voice my support for schedules for boil and fermentation/conditioning/packaging.
SunkenBier

Re: Other schedules

Post by SunkenBier »

engler wrote:I see this has been mentioned, but I'd like to voice my support for schedules for boil and fermentation/conditioning/packaging.
I agree, this is the thing I think the software is missing most.

Id like a variable fermentation tab so you can show raises in temperature per day as well as splitting a batch into multiple fermentors.

Lager times would be great too.
djavet
Double IPA
Double IPA

Dilution tool

Post by djavet »

Hello

I wish (like in Beersmith) a dilution tool to calculate the density if I add 2 or 3 liters at the end to complete after chill down:

cool, nope? Next release?

Dom
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Dilution tool

Post by wottaguy »

This would be a great additional feature and I agree!
If I have to use such a tool, I am forced to use the dilution tool that is found in Pro Mash. I do use it quite often to help me figure out some of my partigyle sessions for water management etc.

Thanks!

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Dilution tool

Post by jeff »

djavet wrote:Hello

I wish (like in Beersmith) a dilution tool to calculate the density if I add 2 or 3 liters at the end to complete after chill down:

Dom
Cool. Thanks for the screenshot!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: RE: Dilution tool

Post by billvelek »

wottaguy wrote:This would be a great additional feature and I agree!
If I have to use such a tool, I am forced to use the dilution tool that is found in Pro Mash. I do use it quite often to help me figure out some of my partigyle sessions for water management etc.
Yes, 'partigyle'. That was my first thought when I saw the screen shot. Would be very handy.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Dilution tool

Post by jeff »

djavet wrote:Hello

Dom
If you get a chance, download alpha version 1.1.0.12 to use this new feature. Dilution has been added to the S.G. tab of the Window->Calculators panel.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
djavet
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Brew Timer?

Post by djavet »

djavet wrote:I wish to see a timer like this for the brew session for the people who brew with computer near the kettle:

Source:
http://beerbelliesbrew.com/Downloads.html

Will be cool, no?

Dom
Will a brew timer like this incorporate into the or a new release?

Dom
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Brew Timer?

Post by jeff »

djavet wrote:Will a brew timer like this incorporate into the or a new release?

Dom
You can expect a timer by the time version 2.0 comes out or soon thereafter.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
djavet
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by djavet »

Yessssssss ! Thanks a lot.

Dom
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Can you add a line to display "utilization" settin

Post by billvelek »

Jeff/Lathe: I was just getting ready to print a screen-shot of BTP in a post in another forum to show the effects for a hop schedule which the original poster proposed, when I realized that the current hop utilization settings (methods of calculating IBUs) are not displayed anywhere on the recipe page, including on any printout. I think that this would be some handy information to have displayed, especially when members exchange recipes or discuss them. I almost always just use the 'Basic' setting, but others use 'Tinseth', etc. If someone posts a recipe and I'm substituting one or more hops, I might not notice/realize that when their recipe indicates 'X' IBUs (and they are using "Tinseth"), that I need to either set my recipe to Tinseth as well, or else alter the amount of IBUs that I'd be expecting. It would also be useful for the printouts when the computer is not handy for checking the settings using the menu commands for "Recipe | Utilization".

So ... it seems to me that there should be room somewhere -- either in the top panel near the beer glass or else in one of the tabbed sections at the bottom. A single line would be sufficient to display the main 'group' choices which affect all three categories (Boil Time, Gravity Correction, and Pellet Hops Correction), but perhaps three separate lines to show each of the above would be better in case a 'custom' utilization has been selected. You could even add a flag to indicate whether the user had altered the graphs for any of them. However, what might be more useful, if you could find room, would be to have a dropdown menu (or arrow-controlled choices) right in front of (to the left of) "Bitterness" in the 'Style' tabbed section at the bottom of the page; then a person could see at a glance that their bitterness is:
Basic -- 48.6
Rager -- 56.7
Garetz -- 36.3
Mosher -- 46.3
Tinseth -- 49.2
Daniels -- 63.5
Fowler -- 48.5
Custom -- ???

By the way, the above values are for the hop schedule I'm looking at, so you can see that when it is only 36.3 using Garetz but 63.5 using Daniels, this is something significant that a brewer ought to know about. Thanks.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Menu Command 'Window | Info'

Post by billvelek »

I'm pretty sure I've suggested this before -- like probably a year ago -- but I don't have time to try to track it down again to confirm, and even if I did, you've probably forgotten about it.

I'm working on a recipe now, and what would be extremely helpful would be if the 'Window | Info' command would open to the _ACTIVE_ 'ingredient' in my 'recipe' (what is highlighed in 'blue') rather than the inactive item in the section at the top of the screen (what is highlighted in 'gray', whether my inventory or the database or whatever). I have found it quite annoying to try to check the 'info' screen for the characteristics of each ingredient I have already picked, only to find that I need to hunt each one down in the database all over again. Things like this make the difference between a 'good' program and a 'GREAT' program; I really do hope that you can find the time to add that feature. That way a person could open the 'info' panel and then use their cursor key to just go down the list of their recipe ingredients to read all the info. Also, it would be handy to have the 'Info' command added to the right-click mouse menu.

I know that you're busy trying to get other things done, but it would be super if this could be included in a future release sometime.

Thanks.

Bill Velek
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

I would love it if the columns lined in the water chemistry. Maybe it's just a problem i'm having.

iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
FrugalBrewer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Humidity Field

Post by FrugalBrewer »

Seeing as how BTP has taken great strides to include fields for very location/brewday specifics.....

Is it possible to have a boil off estimater? I see fields for elevation peppered about, even air temp.

I am thinking that maybe it's possible to throw a field in for humidty too. That combined with air temp, and elevation should be able to give a reasonable estimation on boil-off rate as opposed to the guesstimate that we set ourselves. Of course, the resultant rate should be user correctable but it would still be nice to have an "Boil Off Estimator Tool" that will link these three factors together.