Cannot register v1.5 on a Mac

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
nealperkins

Cannot register v1.5 on a Mac

Post by nealperkins »

I downloaded version 1.5 today but cannot register with my registration number (purchased May 14, 2008) . I've been careful to type the names/numbers in exactly, but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks
just-cj
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Cannot register v1.5 on a Mac

Post by just-cj »

nealperkins wrote:I downloaded version 1.5 today but cannot register with my registration number (purchased May 14, 2008) . I've been careful to type the names/numbers in exactly, but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks
I just downloaded and installed mine, no problem. Did you type in all I and O (letters) instead of 1 and 0 (numbers)? That worked for me.
iMac 20", 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2Duo, 4 GB Memory, OS 10.5.6, resolution 1680 x 1050.
Check out Baird Brewing
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Cannot register v1.5 on a Mac

Post by jeff »

nealperkins wrote:I downloaded version 1.5 today but cannot register with my registration number (purchased May 14, 2008) . I've been careful to type the names/numbers in exactly, but to no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Version 1.0 license keys will not work with version 1.5. Are you using your new license key from the downloads page or license email?
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

I can't load the newest version -- 1.5

Post by billvelek »

Jeff and Lathe, I think you will probably recall that I had prolonged problems twice before with BTP which completely deprived me of the use of the program for literally weeks at a time, and I had to spend as many as twenty or thirty hours each time -- NO EXAGGERATION -- to finally get the program working again, and then only by a sheer stroke of luck. Although I don't recall that those occasions necessarily had to do with installation of updates, I'm sure you can appreciate my intense apprehension with any tampering I might have to do with it, as it looks like I now might need to do it again.

I visited your download page and found an "Upgrade" button that I clicked on to get the most recent release of BTP. A screen of some sort popped up to tell me something like my software had been updated; I can't remember exactly what it said, and I can't get the screen back now. Anyway, I copied my license key down onto a piece of paper, and then clicked on download for Version 1.5.0, saved the download, and scanned it for viruses and spyware. I also put copies of all my recipies, etc., on my thumb-drive and made sure that BTP was not running when I attempted to install the new version. NOTE that I did NOT know whether to first do a de-install of the Beta program that I've been using, so I left it alone. When I started the installation, everything seemed to go just as I would expect except that I was never asked to enter my license key; I thought that was odd but then figured that maybe the new version is using cookies or something. Then, when I ran BTP -- and 'THANK GOD' it _IS_ still running -- and checked the version number, it still says version 1.5.11b; in other words, despite my installation I still have the old program installed.

As pointed out in my top paragraph, above, I am extremely reluctant to try to do anything without expert advice from you. I can promise you this: as much as I love this program and as much as I've invested into it already, if it goes south on me now again, then there is _NO_ WAY_ that I'm going to spend another 20 hours trying to get it to work and I will expect a full refund. I just won't put myself through that again, so I hope that there is really no problem here.

Please help.

Thanks.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
slothrob

v1.5.11b

Post by slothrob »

I could be wrong, but it looks like the 1.5 release is v.1.5.11b.

Edit: Sorry Bill, I didn't know what I was talking about.
I didn't go through the "Upgrade" button next to the v1.0 download in 'My BeerTools", which downloads the new v1.5.
Last edited by slothrob on Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: I can't load the newest version -- 1.5

Post by jeff »

billvelek wrote:Then, when I ran BTP -- and 'THANK GOD' it _IS_ still running -- and checked the version number, it still says version 1.5.11b; in other words, despite my installation I still have the old program installed.
I don't know what folder you chose to install the program files to when you ran the installer, but you will need to run "BeerTools Pro.exe" (.exe may be hidden) found in that folder. If you run the correct executable, the version information will show as "1.5.0" in the about window. Using the BeerTools Pro shortcut in your start menu will only launch recent versions of BTP run and not the new version that has never run. Avoid the use of shortcuts if you want to be sure which file you are running.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

everything up and running fine here.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by billvelek »

jeff wrote:
billvelek wrote:Then, when I ran BTP -- and 'THANK GOD' it _IS_ still running -- and checked the version number, it still says version 1.5.11b; in other words, despite my installation I still have the old program installed.
I don't know what folder you chose to install the program files to when you ran the installer, but you will need to run "BeerTools Pro.exe" (.exe may be hidden) found in that folder. If you run the correct executable, the version information will show as "1.5.0" in the about window. Using the BeerTools Pro shortcut in your start menu will only launch recent versions of BTP run and not the new version that has never run. Avoid the use of shortcuts if you want to be sure which file you are running.
Well, I'm sort of _halfway_ successful now, and I've got Version 1.5.0 up and running and I must say that the very first thing I did was go to the 'User Guide' to see if you improved it, and I am very impressed based on my very brief glance through it.

Now, why did I say that I am only "halfway" finished? Well, let me back up to your statement, Jeff, about folders and .exe files because you might need to do some tweaking to help others avoid my current problem/confuson. During installation, I selected the same folder that I've been using all along for all of my BTP programs -- including the beta versions; using WindowsXP, my normal way to start a program is to merely go to my prgrams' MENU via "Start | All Programs | Beer Tools Pro 1.5", and therefore I don't normally deal with folders or looking for .exe files when starting any program ... and I have never needed to do so with BTP, either. And maybe that will turn out to be the solution for what I am about to explain, but I would have thought that the installation would have automatically taken care of things, but maybe it is because I had the beta version loaded, too. As I think about it now, I'm convinced that that is most likely the source of the problem, but I want to get some sort of confirmation before I do any deleting or de-installing of software because I've had such serious problems in the past.

Okay; here is the problem. I now have TWO different BTP listings inside the BTP Menu folder; one says "Beer Tools Pro 1.5" and the other just "Beer Tool Pro". When I click on the one that just says "Beer Tools Pro" -- WITHOUT the version 1.5 indicated -- then the program opens fine and it is, in fact, version 1.5.0. But when I click on the one that says "Beer Tools Pro 1.5", it brings up the registration screen and asks for my license key. It seems to me that if I complete that process, then I will have the same version installed on the same computer twice, whereas what I really want to do is to get rid of the second menu listing (I'm not at all concerned whether the menu indicates "1.5" or not). So, before I meddle with anything further, please let me know what you think I should do.

By the way, just so you understand, I did have two different versions on my computer at the same time -- one was version 30 or something like that, and the other was beta11. I presume that the 'upgrade' button probably fixed version 30 and ignored the fact that I had a beta installed.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

billvelek wrote:Okay; here is the problem. I now have TWO different BTP listings inside the BTP Menu folder; one says "Beer Tools Pro 1.5" and the other just "Beer Tool Pro".
The new version got installed over the old version. To avoid confusion, you can delete the file "Beer Tools Pro 1.5.exe" and only use "Beer Tools Pro.exe". Any future updates will overwrite "Beer Tools Pro.exe". Please let me know if you run into any trouble.

Thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
nealperkins

Post by nealperkins »

Sorry for the delay...

I purchased 1.0 on March 14th as part of some promotion for v1.5

When I downloaded v1.5, I installed it WITHOUT uninstalling 1.0 (is that the problem?)

In referencing the 1.0 License email I am copying and pasting the info into v1.5

So, I don't know what could be wrong here.

Thanks,

Neal Perkins
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

nealperkins wrote:In referencing the 1.0 License email I am copying and pasting the info into v1.5
You do not need your v1.0 license email anymore; you can't use that key to unlock v1.5. Please use your v1.5 license which appears in your downloads area or in the upgrade email that was sent to you. If you have not upgraded, please do that in your downloads area first.

Thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by billvelek »

jeff wrote:The new version got installed over the old version. To avoid confusion, you can delete the file "Beer Tools Pro 1.5.exe" and only use "Beer Tools Pro.exe". Any future updates will overwrite "Beer Tools Pro.exe". Please let me know if you run into any trouble.

Thanks!
One last time before I toss the dice ... are you saying to simply use 'Windows Explorer' to locate the file and then just delete that single file rather than to do an 'un-stall'. I presume that this is what you mean, but I'm REAL gun-shy now. Thanks in advance for confirmation.

Bill Velek
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

billvelek wrote:One last time before I toss the dice ... are you saying to simply use 'Windows Explorer' to locate the file and then just delete that single file rather than to do an 'un-stall'. I presume that this is what you mean, but I'm REAL gun-shy now. Thanks in advance for confirmation.

Bill Velek
Uninstall would delete lots of files that you really need and make your life miserable. Deleting just the one executable file is the best way. Again, the obsolete file is named "BeerTools Pro 1.5.exe" and the good file is "BeerTools Pro.exe".
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
nealperkins

Post by nealperkins »

OK, that was the answer...just 15 minutes ago I received my email and was told that I would be given a NEW License key...works like a charm
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by billvelek »

jeff wrote:Uninstall would delete lots of files that you really need and make your life miserable. Deleting just the one executable file is the best way. Again, the obsolete file is named "BeerTools Pro 1.5.exe" and the good file is "BeerTools Pro.exe".
Okay, that worked. Now, just to clean up a bit, within my BeerToolsPro folder I still have two different 'Libs' folders: one is named "Beer Tools Pro 1.5 Libs" and ALL of its files have a modification date of 8/13/08, whereas the other folder -- "Beer Tools Pro Libs" -- contains files with the same names but with modification dates of 9/1/08. Is it okay to delete the former ... the files from August? Also, there is a "Help" folder within the BTP folder, and it contains a bunch of HTML files that pre-date this new release; looks like it was all for the old 'User Guide', since the new one is a nice .pdf file. Delete it too? Other than that, everything else looks okay.

Thanks.

Bill Velek