Blowoff drank sanitizer liquid

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

Blowoff drank sanitizer liquid

Postby slimsparty » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:23 pm

I was finishing up the 2nd batch and a little sleepy. I wanted to put my Primary 6gal Carboy in the basement to cool overnight and pitch first thing -like 7 hours later.

I had a big plastic mug of c-brite solution i saved from the sanitization of everything else to put the end of the blow off in.

I carefully put the carboy in the box to keep the light off the beer. Then the hose wouldn't reach so i proped the cup up on a 6gal plastic fermenter i use for general liquid sanatizing, grinding grain, etc.

I should mention the c-brite is 1 .8oz pack for a gallon of water at this point.

The next morning I went down to pitch and the cooling of the air and wort had caused the blow off (1.25" OD tube) to "drink in" the c-brite solution maybe 1-2 cups.

I had no activity for about 24 hours, now at lunch I spotted fermentation krausen forming. (I thought the yeast was dead)

So my question is: Can i even drink this stuff? Is the c-brite when diluted harmful? I'd guess the wort is about 4.5 gallons.

I hate to dump out $30-40 of ingredients, but illness is not much of an alternative.

please advise.

Going forward, I may skip the blowoff all together and just airlock it. I think some of my goonie mishaps are from being TOO careful and green.

Let me know -
slimsparty
Light Lager
Light Lager

Postby hotbrew » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:06 pm

Any cleaning solution in your beer is really going to alter the taste, like in a bad way. I would hate to tell you this but dump it before you got to much time into it and chauk it up as a learning experience.
hotbrew

sanitizer in beer

Postby slimsparty » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:12 pm

yea i poured it out

it smelled dank and soaky so it may have been a blessing
slimsparty
Light Lager
Light Lager

Postby jawbox » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:48 pm

I'm assuming you didn't cool the beer? I'd always recommend very cheap vodka for airlocks.
PowerMac G4 933 Mhz, 1GB Ram, 17" Studio Display, Mac OSX 10.3.9
MacBook 2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.6.2
IMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.6.2
IPhone 5
IPad 2
I like macs ;)
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Return to Brewing Problems, Emergencies, Help!