Extract Brewing - Steeping Specialty Grains?

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
Eskimo

Extract Brewing - Steeping Specialty Grains?

Post by Eskimo »

Right now I'm unable to set my specialty grains as "Steep (Kettle)" and the time they were steeped. The only time the "stage" selection is not grayed out is for hops. How do I set this? The software seems to ignore certain things for the extract brewer.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Extract Brewing - Steeping Specialty Grains?

Post by jeff »

Eskimo wrote:Right now I'm unable to set my specialty grains as "Steep (Kettle)" and the time they were steeped. The only time the "stage" selection is not grayed out is for hops. How do I set this? The software seems to ignore certain things for the extract brewer.
Upcoming version 1.5 provides more stage options for ingredients other than hops. Thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
Eskimo

Post by Eskimo »

Wow, that's surprising, and not at all what I was expecting. I just bought this software, and without this and a few other features I've found to be lacking, it has no real use to me. Since you guys don't offer a demo so people can figure out these things before you buy, can I get a refund?
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

Eskimo wrote:Wow, that's surprising, and not at all what I was expecting. I just bought this software, and without this and a few other features I've found to be lacking, it has no real use to me. Since you guys don't offer a demo so people can figure out these things before you buy, can I get a refund?
Done. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks for trying it out!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

What 'other' features are lacking?

Post by billvelek »

Eskimo wrote:snip ... without this and a few other features I've found to be lacking, it has no real use to me. ...snip
I've been doing all grain since long before acquiring BeerToolsPro, so I haven't paid much attention to features for extracts and partial mashing. I did check the 'steeping' feature on the lastest beta version 1.5.10b, and while I can select "Steep (Kettle)" for the 'stage' of a grain on my ingredients list, it does not have the ability for me to specify any time or temperature there; so, I just presume that this is information that would need to be put in the 'Schedule' section, but I would think that this is a pretty fair inconvenience for a person who isn't mashing and just wants to record the basic info along with ingredients. Of course, that info can be easily put in the notes section, too.

Aside from that, I am curious as to what 'other' features you think that BTP is lacking. It is unfortunate that Version 1.5 hasn't been released to the public yet, because it might well contain what you believe is lacking -- such as a very nice inventory feature. I believe that Jeff and Lathe are also planning to eventually incorporate a brewers timer, too. If you are familiar with features from other brewing programs, please let us know what is missing in BTP.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768