Dunkleweizen yeast

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

HardcoreLegend
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Dunkleweizen yeast

Post by HardcoreLegend »

I recently brewed a nice Dunkelweizen. I used the White Labs Hefeweizen liquid yeast. The beer is still young but has a slightly yeasty character to it that is typical of a Hefeweizen. Two questions. As the beer matures will the yeasty character mellow? If I were to brew this recipe again, can someone suggest an alternate strain of White Labs that would be appropriate for fermenting a dark wheat beer? I would prefer a less yeasty taste in the finished beer. Thanks everyone!
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Wyeast Website

Post by andytv »

I don't know about White LAbs, but the Wyeast website has great profiles of all of their products. I'm sure you would find an appropriate yeats for your style. Maybe "German Wheat" or "American Wheat". I know these ferment cleaner than the weizen yeasts.
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Less "Weitzeny" Yeasts....

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

If the yeast taste is slight as you described it and you found it not to your liking, I question whether you want to use any yeast with a Weitzen like profile. Many American brewers use neutral ale strains to produce their wheat beers with to avoid this perception.

The two least agressive, but still Weitzen strains are White Labs WLP320 and Wyeast 1010 (least aggressive of the two).

Two other approaches that I have used before are:

1.Blend strains: 75% neutral ale with 25% Weitzen is a starting point, but may need adjusted to your preferences. Although with different strains, this is the technique that is used to produce the Trappist beer Orval from Belgium. The Monks use 10 different strains at the same time!!!!

2.Use one of the above listed strains, but ferment at temperatures in the low 60's. This is a common technique used in Germany for Altbiers and Kolsch, in Belgium for table beer (<3% ABV) and some of the lighter Dubbels and in Scotland in the production of 60/+ & 70/+ Scottish Ales. This reduced fermentation temperature restrains rapid cell growth (read: less yeasty) and greatly reduces ester and phenol production.

Eric