Summer lemon beer recipe

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

alphaqup

Summer lemon beer recipe

Post by alphaqup »

I'm pretty new to brewing and will be starting my 3rd batch soon. I am looking for something refreshing for summer. I found this recipe on this site but would like some feedback on it before I start.

I got it from: http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=4020

.5 lbs. American 6-row Pale
3 lbs. Liquid Light Extract
3 lbs. Liquid Amber Extract
1 lbs. Wheat Flaked
1 oz. Saaz (Whole, 5.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
1 oz. Saaz (Whole, 5.00 %AA) boiled 15 min.
.5 teaspoons Irish Moss
1 ounces Lemon Peel
Yeast : WYeast 1056 American Ale

Has anyone made this recipe before? I'm hoping for a subtle lemon flavor that isn't overpowering. Is there any changes I should make? The brewer's notes can be seen in the link above. Is there anything I should do differently? Any other lemony recipes you recommend that might be better?

Thanks!
chils
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by chils »

If you are looking for a great quencher in this style then I would change the amber extract to wheat extract and the yeast to safebrew s-33 which is more in the style you are looking for.As for the lemon peel I go to my local natural foods store and buy their dried lemon peel and add it at the end of the boil just to let it steep.You might also think about adding 1 tablespoon of crushed coriander seed also at flameout which will also add a little citrusy flavor.When you crush it it smells just like fruit loops.After I have cooled the wort I ladle it into the fermenter through through a sanitized grain bag stretched over a strainer to remove all the seeds and lemon peel.