I would like to thank...

What is happening in the world of brewing? Competitions, festivals, seminars, tastings and club events. Personal experiences and victories.

Moderator: slothrob

stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

I would like to thank...

Post by stumpwater »

Without trying to sound like an Oscar winner, I would like to thank the staff at Beer Tools, Mesa (Eric), Freon12, Fraoch, Azorean Brewer, and all the other kind people who have responded to my posts. I am now enjoying my 7th batch of all grain beer and I must say that it is marvelous! The only problem I am having now is how to beat people away from my kegs! I brewed my 8th batch this weekend and experimented with 2.5 kilos of honey. (My friend makes incredible, yes incredible mead from the honey his hives produce and he wanted me to try a honey ale). Perhaps I will be the only person who enjoys this beer. At any rate, thanks again for all your help and I hope that everyone is enjoying the same brewing success that I am now experiencing.
Na zdahroveh!
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

The Oscar goes to....

Post by Freon12 »

You of coarse! You found the fourm, you asked the required questions, you made the effort (and the beer).

Cheers.
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Na zdahroveh

Post by andytv »

I brewed an Imperial Stout a year or so ago called "Na Zdrovye". It's not something you hear every day (outside of western PA), but is my family's typical toast. I felt obligated to interject a comment about your honey ale; I brewed a honet porter some time ago w/ about 2 lbs of honey in a five gallon batch. After it conditioneda few weeks, I tried one....YUCK. It was awful, with severe vinous off-flavors. It tasted more like a wine than a beer. I was bummed, but to my delight four weeks later it developed into one of our best beers ever. Just figured I'd let you know in case the same happens to you.

Andy
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

specifics andytv please...

Post by stumpwater »

Hey Andytv, do you remember any of the specifics of that fermentation such as what temperatures and for how long? I have 2.5 kilos of honey in a 46 litre batch (say 10-12 U.S. gallons). I have been told that the fermentation will take longer than usual and also make more mess. I am really looking forward to the results so any help is appreciated. If this beer turns out, I will have a free source of honey for future batches so you can see why I am hoping for good results. My original gravity was 1.053 and I am dreaming about good strong honey ale. (so much so that I felt moved to let everyone know).
Na zdahroveh!
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

My recollection

Post by andytv »

My recipe was based on "Colonel's Honey Porter" from "The Homebrewer's Bible". I'll dig out the book this week, but If I recall correctly, there was no difference in fermentaion time than other beers. Fermentation temp was that of an ale. For you, it will be dependant on your yeast strain. At the time I brewed this beer, I was pretty new at brewing, and put alot of trust in the recipe; perhaps I didn't allow complete fermentation before bottling, perhapos I'm really lucky that I didn't have exploding bottles. If I were you, I'd trust your hydrometer before you trust my opinion.

I'll respond again once I find my book.

Andy
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Yep

Post by andytv »

The recipe calls for one pound of honey (5 gal batch), with 3-4 days primary fermentation, and 4-7 secondary. Bottle, then 1-2weeks @ rm temp, then cool and store.

Sorry, this is not much help.

Andy