Avanti Mini Keg System

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

jpin

Avanti Mini Keg System

Post by jpin »

Does anybody know if the Avanti Mini Keg System ( http://www.avantiproducts.com/index.php ... cts&id=261 ) works with any mini kegs that I can fill with my own beer? I found this at midwest supplies: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products ... rodID=4900

but am not sure if it works with the avanti system.

Thanks in advance!
slothrob

Avanti Keg system

Post by slothrob »

I haven't seen an Avanti in person, but all the 5 liter kegs I've ever seen are lidentical to the homebrew 5 liter kegs, except for the Heineken ones that have an internal CO2 capsule. So, I think it should work fine with the Midwest mini-kegs.

Just a note, you can often get the already filled kegs for about the same price as the empty ones, maybe a little more or a little less. I saw Killians 5L kegs for $8.99, today. Not my favorite beer, but it's like being paid $2 to drink beer.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Mini Kegs v.s natural carbonation

Post by brewmeisterintng »

From one who has already traveled this road, mini kegs are not for the home brewer. The container is made of tin and has a lacquer coating that deteriorates over time leaving that awful metal taste in your brew. The container was never designed to withstand the pressure associated with natural carbonation. I have had deformed (nearly blowouts) with the resulting beer dispensing pure foam.
The dispensing unit looks pretty cool for those who would want to buy the 1.25 gallon containers and pre-chill them before placing it in this dispenser.
My advice for the homebrewer is to keg with cornies. If you can't keg, stick to bottles until you can keg. Once you switch you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
jpin

Post by jpin »

Thanks for the replies.

Midwest just wrote me back and said that they are NOT compatible with the avanti system. So bottles it is for the time being.
slothrob

?

Post by slothrob »

I'm really surprised, I wonder why they aren't compatible?
I've never seen any obvious difference between these kegs.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP