advice on homebrew store???

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

advice on homebrew store???

Post by bredmakr »

I have often tossed the thought around in my head of opening a homebrew supply store. It often comes to a boil when I have to go to my local store because I forgot to order something over the internet. The local store is a side show to the BrewPub, which does make some excellent beer. HOwever, the supply side doesn't get the attention it deserves nor do I get the service and selection that I desire. Can anyone provide me with insite into the steps I would have to take to open my own shop? Are there any resources on the internet that I can tap into? What about relevant legal restrictions/licensing?
What do you like to see in a homebrew supply store? Thanks in advance - Mike
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

something to think about before spending the time and money

Post by stumpwater »

Perhaps the reason the store doesn't spend much time focusing on the home brewing end of things is that there really is not enough demand or market for it in your town. From being a retailer for 8 years, I have to say that we only stocked the shelves with things that sold. Everything else people wanted, we would do our best to order for them. In an industry that requires fresh ingredients they may just not sell enough to be bothered, although they should let you know if this is the case. I would ask. Maybe the thing for you to do would be advise your local store that they need to focus on your needs, perhaps pay more attention to what their customers want. Just some things to try before you take the plunge of business ownership. Do some research into your market as well. If down the road your local store is still poor and your research says that such a business is viable in your area, then go for it.
Good Luck!
bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

wisdom..

Post by bredmakr »

I was trying to think of ways to tap into my local shops thoughts about the market and your suggestions are better than my ideas. I will ask why they don't carry much inventory. Thanks for the wisdom.
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Careful..

Post by andytv »

Our local homebrew supplier does not do very well. Here are some of the reasons why;

1) He started for the same reason it seems you want to; to serve his own (and few friend's) needs.
2) He can't serve craft brewers very well because we use sooooo many different ingredients which he just can't keep fresh.

3) Not enough people homebrew seriuosly. Those who want to give it a try usually buy a "Mr Beer Kit" from a discount store somewhere, make crappy beer, then give up.

These issues are undoubtably market/geography related. There is a store in Pittsburgh that has been doing quite well for several years.

My local shopkeeper is keeping his business alive by offering free homebrewing & winemaking classes, after which folks buy his ingredients & kits. This would be a good idea for you to consider (should your local market support it).

For me and my brewclub, our best option is to buy some basic bulk ingredients from the local guy, such as base grains, corn sugar, DME for starters, irish moss, certain hops (if we can forecast our usage),certain specialty grains (we use alot of crsytal malts, etc), dry yeast, etc. The local guy is cheaper because of bulk rate shipping. Before brew day, I go online and purchase specialty ingredients if required. For the most part, we have been able to keep a pretty fresh inventory (we don't inventory liquid yeast though). I keep our grains in a cool, dry place, in a big plastic tote, and our hops in the freezer. The last 5-6 batches only required yeast purchases.

If you do decide to start a business and sell on the internet, let us know. If the price is right, I'm sure you'll get support form beertools subscribers.

Andy
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Co-op

Post by Freon12 »

I know what you are saying. What about a buying power co-op that would tap into bulk pricing. (I buy my grain from a local brewery at a very low price and at the same time help the brewery buy more volume, then feed the cows with the spent grain, then have steak and beer cheap like.) Now if I can only find that charcol guy.