Adjuncts

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Adjuncts

Post by jayhawk »

Can extract brewers use adjuncts like corn and rice by steeping with grains, or do they require mashing?
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Rice/Corn Require Mashing....

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Raw and processed corn & rice require mashing because their gelatinization temperature is higher and takes longer than a traditional steep will provide. For extract brewers, the best way to use these products is to buy them in syrups that you can add directly to the boil.
mattg
Light Lager
Light Lager

Can you elaborate?

Post by mattg »

I'm not sure I want use adjucnts, but what are the specifics? Will the enzymes from the barley malt convert the corn/rice starch? Or, must the adjuncts be mashed separately? I've never seen modified (malted) grain other than barley. If they are mashed in with the barley, are there any changes in temp or time?
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I can elaborate if you want, but....

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

From the perspective of someone who has mashed aduncts both with and without a cereal cooker, I still, just as stated in my last post, advise using pre-prepared syrups. Cereal mashing is very messy, time consuming and if done improperly, can destroy the beer either by creating bad flavor or/and setting incredible starch haze.

If you still want to try it, tell me exactly what form of starch you want to convert and I will outline the steps.

Eric
mattg
Light Lager
Light Lager

Thanks but, no.

Post by mattg »

If it was as easy as throwing a couple of pounds in the mash, my wallet might be tempted. Since this isn't the case, I'll pass but thanks for the offer.
Matt
hunter

Post by hunter »

yes i would like to know what to use to convert flaked barley and also flaked rice thanks.