Ringwood starter question...

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

Ringwood starter question...

Post by bredmakr »

I've had the Ringwood Ale yeast in a starter 1 qt H2O with 1/2 cup extra light dry malt extract boiled for 15 minutes then cooled to 65F and shook it up really well for aeration. I pitched an expanded pack of WYEAST Ringwood into the starter 36 hours ago. No clear signs of krausen development but there is some sediment. Is it possible that I have a bad batch of yeast? Or, did I just miss the show (krausen development) because it is such a small volume?

Thanks! - Mike
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Taste It

Post by andytv »

I usually make my starters in the late evening, and pitch them the next day (mid-day). At that time, they are bubbling like mad. I generally use a little more DME than you though. I never let one go for 36 hours,but I imagine that it would be flat by then. Can you pull a little out of the jar and taste it?
bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

bad yeast - WYEAST to the rescue

Post by bredmakr »

The starter never took off and the wort for the starter is not fermented. I called WYEAST and they are reimbursing me for the bad sample and contacting my local shop to update their supply. Not that I hold WYEAST responsible just that I wasn't getting the help I wanted from my local shop. All their stock is starting to age and it doesn't look like they are in a hurry to update their inventory.