Lager beer question

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

DTS78KC
Light Lager
Light Lager

Lager beer question

Post by DTS78KC »

Ok, im new to brewing... 8 brews now. 3 extract, 1 (lager experment), 4 all grain started feb 08. My question is when you do a lager and bottle is there any way to elimenate the settlement? Because if you pour out the beer and dont be very carefull, the beer looks horrible, Since you mainly (eat/drink with your eyes) this is a problem for those bad beer drinking buddies. Any sugestions? Thanks.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew and he'll waste a lifetime- Nuco Gordo
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Bottle conditioning

Post by Legman »

I am assuming that you're bottle conditioning. If that's the case, then you will always have a small amount of sediment in the bottle. There's really no way of getting around that. You just have to pour carefully.
But I'm also guessing since your new to brewing, there's a good chance you've got more sediment in your bottle than you should have. I had the same problem when I first started bottling as well. But now, there's only a very thin film in the bottom of the bottle and my beers are crystal clear...the way it should be.

Here's a few things you can do to help that.

-When boiling your wort, make sure to get a good hot break and cold break when cooling. This really helps all the extra proteins and gunk fall out of the wort.
-Use Irish Moss in the boil. Really helps in clarifying.
- Siphon carefully.
- Lager long enough that everything flocculates well in the fermenter or secondary and not in your bottle.
- Start kegging. :D
slothrob

beer gun

Post by slothrob »

The only way to completely remove the sediment, as Legman said, is to avoid bottle conditioning. Short of switching completely to kegging, you could get a corny keg, a CO2 tank and regulator, and a beer gun. Then you could lager in the corny under CO2 pressure or add sugar to condition in the keg. When the beer is finished lagering it will be carbonated. At that time you could fill bottles from the keg with the beer gun. Few of the bottles should have sediment.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP