Assistance with finding info in BTP ?

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
MNBugeater

Assistance with finding info in BTP ?

Post by MNBugeater »

I am a transplant from ProMash and I will admit I bought BTP only because it 'Looked' like the nicest brewing software for MAC. And while it does LOOK nice, it leaves a lot to be desired.

In ProMash there were several features that I can't find in BTP, so Im hoping someone can tell me how to find the information I feel I am missing.

1 -Total Water needed. I think im ok with setting up my mash schedule but the numbers just dont add up. I am setting my final volume to collect 13-14 gallons. The schedule says to mash in with say 6.5 gallons and sparge with 7.25 or so. This is 13.75 gallons. Where is a total water needed listed? I know the grain absorbs water. Additionally, I have set up my vessel loss for my MT and Lauter tun, etc. and this doesnt seem to be taken into account.

2 - Inventory. Where do I put in my stock inventory so I know what I have on hand.
I keep hearing about inventories, but I cant find it for the life of me.

Finally, I read a lot of posts asking questions. And the answers typically are somthing to the effect of. "In version 1.5 you do it this way, yada yada yada"....well how about answering the questions for the current release of the software or making 1.5 available. It doesn't help answer the question for a different version when most of us dont have the 1.5. Either say " you can't do that" in your version or...here's 1.5 download that and you can.

its frustration reading answers only to go try that and realize someone answered it referencing software not publicly available.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Assistance with finding info in BTP ?

Post by jeff »

MNBugeater wrote:I am a transplant from ProMash and I will admit I bought BTP only because it 'Looked' like the nicest brewing software for MAC. And while it does LOOK nice, it leaves a lot to be desired.
If you are dissatisfied with the software I can deactivate your key and refund your order if you wish.

Thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
MNBugeater

Post by MNBugeater »

I am not quite to that point yet, Jeff. And I am sorry for sounding so 'dissatisfied'.

I have put 3 batches through it and Im just not to the point that I trust it. I am working with fellow BTP users and they are helping out. I'm not worried about the $25 or whatever it was... Im more concerned about finding brewing software that does the calculations for me and gives me the accurate numbers I need to be consistent when I brew. At the end of the day it really is all about the beer right? I use software for accurate consistent calculations and hopefully fellow users will assist in helping me use the software so I can find what Im looking for.

What does it take to get the 1.5 Beta? yes I am willing to pay for it, and give professional honest feedback.

Warren
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

MNBugeater wrote:What does it take to get the 1.5 Beta? yes I am willing to pay for it, and give professional honest feedback.
Thanks for your offer! The beta program is close to completion so it is best to wait for the official release. 1.5 is provided free of charge to all current customers.

Thanks!
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
slothrob

Help with 1.0

Post by slothrob »

Sorry, a lot of the more advanced users are the Beta testers, sort of by definition, so we have to advice on 1.0 from memory.

Anyway...
1) Without stopping to run all your numbers, I suspect that the discrepancy you're seeing with your numbers has to do with expansion due to water temperature, which the program takes into account. I have found that BTP does a good job calculating most of the numbers I want for a session.

2) Before I started using the 1.5 beta, I kept inventory as a "recipe" called "Inventory". I entered all my available ingredients and quantities into a single recipe and adjusted the quantities as I made real recipes. It was less than ideal, but it did allow me to keep a reasonably accurate inventory that was easy to get to from BTP. If I didn't have the new Inventory feature, I'd have continued this practice, but probably have broken it down into separate Grain and Hop inventories.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP