High OG

What went wrong? Was this supposed to happen? Should I throw it out? What do I do now?

Moderator: slothrob

unlicensedbrewer

High OG

Post by unlicensedbrewer »

I've been brewing for several months now and made some excellent beer, but lately, I've been having some high OG reads.

Belgian special OG- 1.122 FG 1.012
Chocolate Stout OG- 1.124 FG 1.022

When I calculate my recipe's with beer tools, they are supposed to be around 1.060-1.070 OG

I usually use 6lbs of Malt Extract, and 2lbs of grains, and 2oz of hops.

Just wondering if I could be doing something wrong,

Any help would be appreciated, THNX
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

My guesses

Post by brewmeisterintng »

1. Your final volume is off/ less than 5 gallon.
2. Your hydrometer is not working properly.

Validate the volume of your fermentation vessel.
Validate the hydrometer in water to ensure it read 0.

Are you mashing the grains or soaking them?

Hope I have been some help.
unlicensedbrewer

I usually place the grains into cool water, and when it reaches boiling, I remove them.

My hydrometer is accurate, but the volume is less than 5 gallons because of the sediment.
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

A good read

http://www.howtobrew.com/

I highly encourage you to go to the above link and read about brewing with extracts and specialty grains. It should give you some knowledge on how to improve your brewing process.
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

howtobrew.com

Post by Legman »

Yeah I second that brewmeisterintng. That's some really good reading on there. It's helped me out a lot in understanding some things. I refer to it quite often.

unlicensedbrewer, you didn't state what kind of grains you were using either. If its 2# of crystal malt, that may explain some of the problem with the high FG. But I also suspect it's you method of steeping/mashing the grains. Mash temperature plays a huge role in how much fermentables and non-fermentables is produced.
slothrob

OG

Post by slothrob »

But it's a problem with high OG that he's having.

That's a tough one. It's quite common for people making extract beer to get a low OG because the top-up water and the wort didn't mix well prior to taking the reading. I've never heard of getting a high OG for that reason, but it seems awfully coincidental that your readings are almost exactly twice your target.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
unlicensedbrewer

For the belgian, I used 1# Flaked rice, 1# Carapils.
The Stout I used 1# Chocolate malt and .5# Roasted Barley, .5# Black patent. I did put 5oz of Dark Chocolate in the boil (which I know is adding unfermentables, but I wouldn't think enough to boost the OG to 1.024!)

For water, I use 2.5 gallons in the boil (1 gallon tap, 1.5 Bottled) then I add the bottled water to the bucket up to the 5 Gallon mark.
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by Legman »

Oops. My bad, I misread that. Though it said FG.

Yeah, high OG is strange. Could it be the temperature that you taking your OG reading at? Maybe forgot to compensate for it?

Did you possibly change the mash efficiency on the calculator to a lower percentage and didn't realize it?
unlicensedbrewer

(which I know is adding unfermentables, but I wouldn't think enough to boost the OG to 1.024!)

(meant to say 1.124) /\

I took the reading at about 70*F, but wouldn't it calculate a point or two higher?
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

[quote="unlicensedbrewer"]I usually place the grains into cool water, and when it reaches boiling, I remove them.

Brewing does not involve boiling grains. That is why I recommended reading the link. I think that there are a few things going on here. First, less then final volume collected/ added to bucket. Second, too many non-fermentables collected in fermentor. How are you transferring to the fermentor? Are you using a wine thief to take your sample? Do you spin the hydrometer to knock of the air bubbles? I have never seen a reading that high and based on your ingredients you shouldn't either. Re-look each step of your process. Maybe that will help you narrow it down. What type of yeast are you using?
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

hydrometer

Post by Legman »

If you hydrometer is reading correctly, 70*F should only add about 0.0011 to your reading. Check you hydrometer in plain water to make sure it's correct. But even still, I wouldn't think is would be that much off.
Read this: http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixA.html

Like brewmeisterintng said, break down your whole process and look at all the variables.
unlicensedbrewer

After I cool the brew pot down between 80-90*F, I place a straining bag into the fermenting bucket, then I put 2 gallons of bottled water into the bucket. I dump the cooled wort into it, then top off with the bottled water, vigorously splashing. I wait maybe five minutes, then I use the spigot to fill up the hydrometer tube. It's usually about 70* when I take the reading, and I do remove any bubbles. Maybe It didn't mix well enough just from dumping?

As for yeast, the only one's i've tried are, Nottingham's and SAFEALE-05. Mainly because there is a higher count of cells, like 11 and 11.5g.

Last night I made another ale, and did all the steps I've indicated, but I took my stirring spoon the the fermenting bucket and made sure it was mixed thoroughly. It hit the target I was after, 1.063. So, maybe the ingrediants in the other batches just weren't mixed well?
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

unlicensedbrewer wrote: I wait maybe five minutes, then I use the spigot to fill up the hydrometer tube.

So, maybe the ingrediants in the other batches just weren't mixed well?
I think so. I think you took a sample from the dense wort at the bottom of the bucket.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
slimsparty
Light Lager
Light Lager

High OG

Post by slimsparty »

OK, I'm having the same issue, but suspect I'm not doing it right.

I have been putting fresh wort it is usually about 3.5 gallons in the hydrometer flask for my OG. That would make the wort seem more "concentrated?"

Should I be taking the reading from the wort after it is combined with the top off water?

I use glass 6 gal carboys and have been real hesitant to muck around with my wort after it is in there. Should I lift it up and pour some or would a sanatized turkey baster be a better route?

Of the batches I took an OG for I couldn't get an FG because I didn't put enough finnished beer in the flask so the hydro didn't float. (I think I need to mark the flask with a line.)

Luckily, it hasn't mattered much. The beer is good and gives a buzz.

But I would like to be doing things right, especially the hydro readings in case I have to go to them to troubleshoot sometime.
slimsparty
Light Lager
Light Lager

High OG

Post by slimsparty »

OK, I'm having the same issue, but suspect I'm not doing it right.

I have been putting fresh wort it is usually about 3.5 gallons in the hydrometer flask for my OG. That would make the wort seem more "concentrated?"

Should I be taking the reading from the wort after it is combined with the top off water?

I use glass 6 gal carboys and have been real hesitant to muck around with my wort after it is in there. Should I lift it up and pour some or would a sanatized turkey baster be a better route?

Of the batches I took an OG for I couldn't get an FG because I didn't put enough finnished beer in the flask so the hydro didn't float. (I think I need to mark the flask with a line.)

Luckily, it hasn't mattered much. The beer is good and gives a buzz.

But I would like to be doing things right, especially the hydro readings in case I have to go to them to troubleshoot sometime.