Hops, where do you buy em?

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

jimcraig
Light Lager
Light Lager

Hops, where do you buy em?

Post by jimcraig »

ok so all of us (maybe not all) are in the same hops shortage boat.

where do you get yours and what limitations do you have to deal with?

here in Nashville my brew store "All Seasons" will only sell you 2oz, 3oz if its an IPA, and only when you buy a complete recipe from them.

online more and more are going to only 50% of the order can be hops, full recipes or limited to 3oz per variety. slowly but surely ebay is beginning to be the way to go. but the varieties are limited.

I have bout 35oz of different varieties in the freezer right now with a pound of Galena hops in the mail now. So I am ok for now, but it doesnt look like things are getting better for us.

so come folks share your sources, please.
yaturaz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by yaturaz »

slothrob

Hops Availability Chart

Post by slothrob »

This is a useful site for hop availability. He's been keeping this updated every Friday for months.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jimcraig
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by jimcraig »

sloth, yeah I know about that site it is nice.

yat, yeah thats where I mainly buy. I guess I was looking for some out of the way little less known places.

how bout local for you guys? limits?
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

The closest place to me has a 3 oz limit and requires that you buy the rest of your recipe from them. They've also imposed a grain limit!

The other place hasn't imposed a limit, yet, but has recently started taking the Northern Brewer approach of raising their prices to preserve their inventory. That's allowed them to keep a decent inventory, so far. So, as long as you don't mind paying $4/oz for the hops, you can make most any beer you want. I've been relying on my stocks and just getting an ounce or two when I want a special character hop.

I didn't hoard much hops, out of sympathy for the community, but I did get a broad assortment of hops that covers me for most any hop flavor I would be looking for. I've also been focussing on low hopped beers for this year and should be able to stretch my stock until September.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
jimcraig
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by jimcraig »

yeah All Seasons (brew shop) here limits you to 2oz with a purchase of a full recipe, no grain limit yet thank god.

but their prices are mostly $4oz, so I tend to buy most of mine online. With shipping I pay around 2.50 $3 per oz, I can live with that and with my next 2 shipments coming in, I have close to 3lbs in the freezer.

thanks for the replies guys, I know I am new here but hope to be around for a good while.
yaturaz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by yaturaz »

I am able to buy a decent amount of hops from a local brewpub @ $2/oz. They don't have many home brewers coming in buying stuff from them. They don't have everything I need as far as hops go, but I am totally happy with how much they help out:)

The brewpub is Lengthwise in Bakersfield, CA. It you are ever in the area they have a few great brews.
jimcraig
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by jimcraig »

I havent been in Bakersfield since I was stationed at George AFB before they closed it in 92.

thats pretty cool of them. I dont think any of the brewpubs round here would do that.
hansolo
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by hansolo »

Right now I have three brew stores in my area that I buy from. Since I am only doing 5 gallon batches, the 3 oz limit isn't that big a deal for me, Although I never asked if they have a limit.
WWW.CAFEPRESS.COM/EHINNOVATIONS
T-shirts and more for homebrewers and people with a sense of humor