Any last second advice?

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

virginbrew
Light Lager
Light Lager

Any last second advice?

Post by virginbrew »

I'm brewing my first brew this weekend. An Iris Red Ale. I have done my homework for the last couple of months and feel pretty confident. That's usually when I find out that I have no idea what I'm am doing. From what I have read here, I can tell that there is a lot of experience. I'm asking for any last advice that I might not have picked up from books or online tutorials. I appreciate any response. Thanks!
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

All grain or extract?

Post by brewmeisterintng »

Is it a kit or from a recipe? Don't be over critical of your first batch but do take a bunch of notes. It's a great hobby and enjoy.
slothrob

advice

Post by slothrob »

Practice good sanitation and keep good records. If you have a good record of what you did, then it will be easier for you (or us) to figure out any problems that might develop.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

I agree with the above advice. What I would add is don't get hung up trying to make the perfect brew your first time out. This is supposed to fun, so relax and enjoy the day. Some things will probably go wrong your first time. Don't worry. Brewing is fairly forgiving and you'll still get beer, and probably good beer. The beer will be ready in it's own time, so don't rush it. Having some craft brew around so that you have something to drink will help with the wait. Oh, and welcome to the hobby! For a lot of us it has a way of evolving into an obsession.
BTP 2.0.22 (Linux (.deb) 64 bit)
BTP 2.0.24 (Windows 10-20H2)
BTP 2.1.0.9 Beta (Windows 10-20H2)
virginbrew
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by virginbrew »

I am brewing a kit from Northern Brewer. Just got it in the mail today! I feel like Ralphie did when he got his Little Annie Oakly decoder! I can't wait until Friday morning to brew! Thanks for the replies everyone! :D
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

I brewed that kit a couple of time when I was first starting out, It was always a crowd pleaser.
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

All Grain version

Post by brewmeisterintng »

I have the all grain Irish Red from NB in the secondary right now. It smelled great when I transfered it. It does seem a little dark for a red though.
virginbrew
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by virginbrew »

Did everything this morning and the brew is in the primary. It's been there about 12 hours now and the air lock jumps once every 3 to 4 seconds. I think the temp is a little warm at 70F, but I'm doing what I can to lower the temp a little. Feeling very confident at this point, but still got those first time doubts looming. This is so much fun! Why did I wait so long to try this out? :D
virginbrew
Light Lager
Light Lager

Bubbles in air lock. Should I clean it out or let it sit

Post by virginbrew »

Small foam bubbles are forming in my air lock. Nothing major, but not sure what to do. Temp is around 67F and it's been in the primary for about 38 hours. Should I clean and sanitize the airlock or just let it set?
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

When you say foam, are you talking about krausen getting into the airlock? If that's the case you're experiencing a blow off. It's a sign of a vigorous fermentation and nothing to be too concerned about. If you''re using a three piece air lock you can remove the bobber and fasten some tubing to the airlock and place the other end in a container of liquid such as sanitizer, Ever Clear, or even water. When the krausen subsides you can clean the air lock. If you're using a one piece air lock there's not much to can do other than put the fermenter in a tub or sink to contain the mess and let it go. The one piece air locks can be hard to clean, so you may be better off replacing it with a new one after things settle down and throwing the dirty one away. If krausen isn't getting into the air lock not sure what the foam would be other than just bubbles from the CO2 released from the fermentation.
virginbrew
Light Lager
Light Lager

Krausen

Post by virginbrew »

It's krausen. I'm pretty sure. It's wasn't rediculous, just a gave the airlock water a amber color. I cleaned the air lock then replaced it. Hope I didn't screw anything up. While I had the air lock out, flipped a sanitized cup over the hole. Things seem to be going good. My temp is about 66F and the air lock is giving 2 bubbles every second. Sould I be conserned yet?
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

Nothing at all to be concerned about. A vigorous fermentation is a good thing. No worries removing the air lock for a few minutes to clean it. During active fermentation there is positive pressure inside the fermenter so any nasties in the immediate area can't get in. From your description of things I'd say you're on your way to producing a pretty good beer.
virginbrew
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by virginbrew »

Thanks ColoradoBrewer! You guys have been a lot help, and it's nice to be able to hear input from those who have brewed befor. When should I move from my primary to my secondary? From what I have read, I think it is when activity in the airlock subsides. Is that right, or is do I need to take the gravity and base it on that? Once again, thanks for all your help. You've all eased my worries during my first attempt at making beer and I appreciate it. :)
virginbrew
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by virginbrew »

I have another question about the circles below your name. Is this a rank, or what type of beer your making at the time? What do you need to do to have those titles? Thanks again!
bfabre
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by bfabre »

When should I move from my primary to my secondary? From what I have read, I think it is when activity in the airlock subsides.
That is correct. I usually go to seven days to make sure. Typicaly it's 5-7 days.
I have another question about the circles below your name. Is this a rank, or what type of beer your making at the time?
I asked this question a while back. From what I was told is that it has to do with the number of posts you listed in the forum.
"B"