What do you want in your brewing software?

Discussion and topics about BeerTools.com online calculators and other tools.

Moderator: jeff

BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

And yet a few more things...

Post by BillyBock »

Hi folks, it's been a while since I've posted. I see a lot of new names. One of the reasons I use Promash is so I wouldn't have to depend on an internet connection in order to use brewing tools. Having said that, I'd seriously consider using a BeerTools s/w version. On to my suggestions...

1) A water chemistry calculator would be useful to compare your water plus additions to a target profile. I think this calculator should include an optimizing algorithm so the computer will automatically calculate how much of which salt to add to get you within range of your target, similar to that on BrewWater. Also consider addition of a pH calculator to allow a brewer to determine the proper amount of acid to use in a given volume of water.

2) Estimated Color: Keep the estimated beer color mug...I love it. Having to reference an SRM chart to only get a written description (such as "straw" or "pale gold") is a PITA. Visuals....keep the visuals.

3) Documentation: Tools to keep track of notes and document the brewing process are good to have for repeatability.

4) Base Recipes: I think a variety of base recipes of various styles would give the novice brewer a springboard for creativity and recipe formulation.

Thanks for the opportunity to comment.

v/r
Bill
Raydownunder
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Your doing well

Post by Raydownunder »

Guys, This site is great! and I will tell you why.
1. Since its introduction my beers have greatly improved. Why?
2. I now have BALANCE
3. This page lets me change my recipe any way I like so I can get the Balance I want in my beers.
4. I now have COLOUR
Try and get your colour right without this site. Its not easy.
5. It took me about 6 months to get my mash efficiency right. Only this page did it for me. I can generate a recipe and edit my mash efficiency and Its spot on.
6. Bitterness is right.
Its all great software and you guys are doing it right.
The only thing I would like to see is more beer styles to generate.
Keep it Up
Ray Mills
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

1-10 maybe???

Post by Fraoch »

I understand the problems with quantifying flavour/aroma but an indication of small,medium,high, extreme etc would give an overall balanced idea of the particular batch. For instance, Timothy Taylors Landlord pale is an exceptional pale ale that relies on a massive flavour and arome profile rather than hop bitterness. Maybe if the IBU rate was displayed with a similar quantity for flavour etc above or under IBU amount. This would then indicate predominant hop sensation. Just a suggestion though, if you could come up with something it really would be a major refinement for us brewers and again would take away a lot of the experimentation
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

OK a few more things

Post by andytv »

My beer club maintains an inventory. I know that the current beertools app has an inventory tool, but we do it with spreadsheet, heres why; we have a need for some accounting functions. When a club member buys a sack of grain, for example, he gets so many dollars worth of club credit. We can also keep track of non-ingredients like cleaners, sanitizers, oxygen, etc. I'm not sure what kind of hoops you have to jump through to be able to interface w/ MS excel or access, but that would be really cool. Or maybe you could enhance your current inventory tool. Another thing; how about a "reverse approach" to beer making. Let's say that I have certain amounts of certain ingredients in my inventory...could beertools suggest recipes? There is (was) a website called idrink.com that would suggest mixed drinks based on what ingredients you had.

I also have trouble printing recipes sometimes, anyone else???

ANdy
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

on the subject of the yeast

Post by stumpwater »

I like the menu idea for yeast selection and the proerties of the yeast but would still want to get a recommendation from the tools as to which yeast would be best for the style.
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

No Visa=No Gold

Post by stumpwater »

Not really a matter of the software, but the access to it. I have no Visa and WILL NOT get one. I really want a gold membership so how about a billing address?
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

An alternative

Post by jeff »

This has come up before and we will accept checks made out to Studio XYZ. If you prefer this method of payment, send a check to:

Studio XYZ
5443 Chaplins Landing Road
Hollywood, SC 29449
USA

Please include your user name on the check or in a brief note. Your membership will be upgraded when the check clears.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

The need for stand-alone software.

Post by jeff »

This interactivity is precisely how the stand-alone version of BeerTools will operate. Imagine the results page always visible when editing values; and imagine numbers changing, and graphs stretching at the same instant that you are editing your recipe. The idea is to make recipe formulation less of a
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Base recipes

Post by jeff »

What if the entire online library of BeerTools recipes were available on your desktop to use as a spring board?
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Thanks.

Post by jeff »

I appreciate the boost!
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Inventory still in the oven.

Post by jeff »

The inventory feature is still under-cooked. As far as the site goes, right now the central engine of the tools is being rewritten to allow for some power features to be enabled. That is taking priority at the moment but eventually the inventory will receive an overhaul.
Monkey Man
Light Lager
Light Lager

Mashing Calculations

Post by Monkey Man »

I have read the posts on the desire for mashing calculations. If they were available I would only be interested if the calculations would be tailor made to what I am trying to do. For example the mash would be different if I was brewing a full or medium, or light bodied beer. I wouldn't want the calculations done to one generic mash schedule. I am not mashing as of yet, but soon will be. The only way that I can justify the extra time is that I get more control of what goes in my beer. If the calculations are done to a single "generic" mash then this option would be of little use to me. That being said, I have enjoyed this site for a year now. I wish I would have discovered it sooner. I enjoy keeping track of what I've done and this format is the most convenient I have found. I have thought of going GOLD, but I don't see anything "over there" as of yet that I would pay for. Thank you for your time.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Sure....

Post by BillyBock »

Jeff: Sorry for the delay, I just got done moving to Ft Worth. I think that concept would work, but I'd limit it to the "tried and true" recipes :-)