Recipe Kits

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

FrankieBoy007
Light Lager
Light Lager

Recipe Kits

Post by FrankieBoy007 »

Who has experience using all grain kits from some of the online homebrew supply stores, such as Midwest, Morebeer, or Austin Homebrew. I have bought a couple of kits from Austin, and just bought a kit from Midwest. I assume these are recipes they have created (unless otherwise noted on the website).

I guess my real question is, which kits/supplier is the best? Thoughts?
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Kits

Post by brewmeisterintng »

I have bought quite a few kits in my day both from my LHBS and on line. The kits that I like the best are from Northern Brewer. My wife bought me five of them for Christmas. There is only one left and the other four were really good. Would buy from them again.
I have never bought form the companies you mentioned so I can't commet on the quality of their kits. The only negative I have heard about NB kits is that they do a poor job of cracking grains. I mill my own so there is no problem.
billd220
Light Lager
Light Lager

Midwest Kits

Post by billd220 »

I've purchased two partial mash kits from Midwest Homebrew and have been very happy. 1st I'll say they shipped extremely fast. I ordered on Sunday night (online) and had it by Thursday...just in time to brew on Saturday.

I've had good results too. Well at least with the first one.,..which was their Berlin Wheat. The second one (Cascade Pale Ale)I bought is fermenting as we speak. I just transfered to the secondary and took a little taste and it has strong potential.

Anyway....I highly recommend Midwest. I'm hoping to do my first all-grain next and will probably order one of the kits as well.