Synchronizing BTP Between Two PC's

General discussion on BeerTools Pro Software.
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Synchronizing BTP Between Two PC's

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

I run BTP 1.5.3 on my desktop and laptop. I'm wondering what the best way to them keep them synchronized would be. I read in this post about copying the Data0300.rsd file, but that post had to do with print/export and didn't give me the results I was hoping for. I was hoping to have copies of BTP on each machine that were identical, but it didn't happen. The recipe data wasn't copied. What I did was copy the Data0300 file in the BeerTools Pro folder from my user account in the Application Data folder in Documents and Settings on one pc to the corresponding location on the other. Are there other files in that folder that should be copied as well? If so, which ones?
BTP 2.0.22 (Linux (.deb) 64 bit)
BTP 2.0.24 (Windows 10-20H2)
BTP 2.1.0.9 Beta (Windows 10-20H2)
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Synchronizing BTP Between Two PC's

Post by jeff »

ColoradoBrewer wrote:I run BTP 1.5.3 on my desktop and laptop. I'm wondering what the best way to them keep them synchronized would be. I read in this post about copying the Data0300.rsd file, but that post had to do with print/export and didn't give me the results I was hoping for. I was hoping to have copies of BTP on each machine that were identical, but it didn't happen. The recipe data wasn't copied. What I did was copy the Data0300 file in the BeerTools Pro folder from my user account in the Application Data folder in Documents and Settings on one pc to the corresponding location on the other. Are there other files in that folder that should be copied as well? If so, which ones?
Version 1.5.3 introduced a new data file which is stored in the BeerTools Pro library folder in your document tree. The location of this folder is determined in the BTP preferences panel. All of the ingredients, equipment, recipe index, etc. are stored in the file named BeerTools Pro Library.rsd found inside this folder. However, that file must be kept in the BeerTools Pro folder because it is matched to the recipe files in the folder. Thus, synchronizing the whole BeerTools Pro library folder between computers will keep your data the same. The only thing that will be missing is the default settings created when using File->Make Default.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
Brant
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by Brant »

With version 1.0, I carefully synced recipe files between my desktop and laptop by using the date stamps on the files to know which I needed to copy. I was just careful to not modify a recipe on one computer if I knew it had been modified on the other, but not resync-ed. That mild chaos wasn't the smartest way to do things, but I never screwed up (as far as I know), and it was the only way I could accomplish what I needed to do.

Will that still work now that the recipes are indexed in this .rsd file? I'm guessing that I can't copy just a single recipe file from one computer to another without copying the .rsd file, can I?
Brant

Gateway GT5648E: Athlon64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz; 3GB RAM; 1440x900 32-bit; Vista Home Premium
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

Brant wrote:Will that still work now that the recipes are indexed in this .rsd file? I'm guessing that I can't copy just a single recipe file from one computer to another without copying the .rsd file, can I?
If you do, I recommend using the Library->Rebuild Library utility to rebuild the recipe index from the recipe files.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

Well, Jeff, copying the .rsd file described above doesn't seem to be working. When I make changes to a recipe on one computer they don't show up on the other when I copy the .rsd file to that pc. BTW, I noticed that the library.rsd file resides in several places on my pc. I've tried just about every combination I can think of without success, but maybe I'm grabbing the wrong one, or placing it in the wrong location. Oh, and one other question, you refered to the Rebuild Library utility. What does that actually do? In other words, what does it change and what does it leave alone?
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jeff »

ColoradoBrewer wrote:Well, Jeff, copying the .rsd file described above doesn't seem to be working. When I make changes to a recipe on one computer they don't show up on the other when I copy the .rsd file to that pc. BTW, I noticed that the library.rsd file resides in several places on my pc. I've tried just about every combination I can think of without success, but maybe I'm grabbing the wrong one, or placing it in the wrong location. Oh, and one other question, you refered to the Rebuild Library utility. What does that actually do? In other words, what does it change and what does it leave alone?
The name of the file is BeerTools Pro Library.rsd and it is found in the BeerTools Pro library folder; likely found in your My Documents folder. The library folder contains the BeerTools Pro Library.rsd file, the Recipes folder (contains all the recipes) and possibly BeerTools Pro Library Old.rsd. To synchronize computers, the whole library folder should by copied.

Rebuild Library reads the contents of the files in the Recipes directory and re-indexes them. The index is used in BTP to show what recipes you have in the library. In other words, when you click on a recipe folder in BTP, the index is used to display the contents. So, if a user deletes a recipe file outside of BTP, the index needs to be updated to reflect the change. This can be done using Rebuild Library. This utility should only be used when problems arise however. If the .rsd file is kept with the Recipes folder, and the user avoids making changes to the Recipes folder outside of BTP, everything will stay synced. :wink:
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
a_daley
Double IPA
Double IPA

Renaming recipe files

Post by a_daley »

So do I assume from this if I decide to rename the first letter in a recipe file from lowercase to uppercase in Windows Explorer I would need to use the utility?
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: Renaming recipe files

Post by jeff »

a_daley wrote:So do I assume from this if I decide to rename the first letter in a recipe file from lowercase to uppercase in Windows Explorer I would need to use the utility?
Possibly. I would recommend renaming it within BTP though.
Jeff
BeerTools.com Staff
a_daley
Double IPA
Double IPA

Renaming recipe files

Post by a_daley »

You realize it renamed the recipe but not the actual file name in the actual windows directory in 1.5.3? I haven't had time to play with it in 1.5.4b yet...
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

jeff wrote:The name of the file is BeerTools Pro Library.rsd and it is found in the BeerTools Pro library folder; likely found in your My Documents folder. The library folder contains the BeerTools Pro Library.rsd file, the Recipes folder (contains all the recipes) and possibly BeerTools Pro Library Old.rsd. To synchronize computers, the whole library folder should by copied.
TADA! Thanks, Jeff! It works beautifully. Apologies for being so dense. Guess I was having one of those dreaded Senior Moments. :roll: