What do you want in your brewing software?

Discussion and topics about BeerTools.com online calculators and other tools.

Moderator: jeff

lathe
Double IPA
Double IPA

What do you want in your brewing software?

Post by lathe »

Hello,
We are working very hard on the software version of BeerTools. We want to make sure that we keep the user in mind, so we thought we should periodically ask for your input on what you want to see in brewing software.
So let us have it!
Lathe Poland
Marketing Director
lathe@beertools.com
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

A few things come to mind...

Post by andytv »

Although my exposure to other software (i.e. promash) had been very limited, I really like the beertools recipe generator/calculator. The only things that I can think of off the top of my head are things you probably have already done;

1) Recipe generator's style, grain, etc selection lists are too short, as opposed to calculator's.

2) Yeast information - could you provide info like fermentation temp, etc for certain yeasts?

3) I don't believe that fermentable adjuncts are allowed to contributed to the gravity of the beer in the software's current version.

I know I could think of some other things, but my boss will be in soon. Gotta go.

Andy
KBrau
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Promash

Post by KBrau »

Promash!...Need I say more.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Baseball is more interesting with two teams playing.

Post by jeff »

When there is competition, the effort, the training, and the excitement all increase. Likewise, if there is only one brewing software package out there, naturally everyone will think it
Liquid Blur
Light Lager
Light Lager

Suggestion

Post by Liquid Blur »

Since I am new in using these tools I may be suggesting something that is already included in the software or is not really worth it. But since I am new to homebrewing I think it would be helpful for people like me to be able to see a template on the type of beer we're going to create before we begin the recipe. Not saying that your current format isn't great but I think that a template before we begin will help out us noobs in the group. Thanks,
Blur
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

On the hop side

Post by Fraoch »

Ok, you may already have this available in the Gold account and believe me if i were in the states id join up now, but just a suggestion that in the calculator , some indication of hop flavour/ aroma in the compatability column maybe??? Also to add, i love Beertools site, takes all the "hit and miss" out of the refining of beer styles. Thanks guys, you saved me several mashes that just needed that.....
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

A few more things

Post by andytv »

What about integrating step mashing & decocotion mashing into your software, essentially going beyond ingredients and into process. You may even be able to allow users to record and track fermentation temperature profiles!

Andy
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

I

Post by jeff »

How do you see the presentation of such a template? Is it some sort of graph or a list of percentages that such a style conforms to? Is it simply a description of what to expect from the style? Thanks for the feedback, it
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Too much, too little?

Post by jeff »

Would you like an indicaion of when there might be a little too much or too little of a flavor/aroma contribution for a given style? Mathematically, such an indicator would at best be an educated guess, but if such is understood then perhaps it may alert the brewer of gross extremes.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

More documentation of the brewing process.

Post by jeff »

You would like to see perhaps a generated mashing regimen that could serve as an outline while brewing? Maybe a printable format?
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Yeast menu selection.

Post by jeff »

Instead of typing in a yeast name manually, yeast could be selected from a menu. From there, basic yeast data such as temperature and attenuation could be accessed. This feature is on it
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

instant access to changes

Post by stumpwater »

I would like to see the calculator show changes instantly as I input the numbers, only because I don't have much time in a day to spend on the computer. I think that I am refering to a meter such as if I was using Corel Photo Shop. When I change the brightness setting, I can see the percentage change and result immediately. If I am shooting for 100% when inputing ingredients to a certain style, I would like to instantly know as I input the numbers, when I am out of range, or getting close to the target number. Does that make sense? Of coarse this won't tell me about flavour profile for the end product, but when I first started making recipes, I put a lot of faith in BeerTools percentage ratings to a given style.
Liquid Blur
Light Lager
Light Lager

Exactly

Post by Liquid Blur »

That's exactly what I mean. I graph or a list of percentages that a particular style of beer conforms to? Hopefuly that would help a bit. I would like to help more but I am still very ignorant when it comes to home brewing. :( (still learning) Thanks,
Blur
Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

Andy has hit on a good point!

Post by Brewer2001 »

Jeff,
I haven't used your brewing software on this site (I use Pro Mash). I have recipe files, brew session files and I print text and graphs on mash regimen for each brew. This helps me to recreate and adjust the recipe. Most homebrewers probably do not keep notes in an orderly manner. This would help the brewer to find the specifics of their brews. I have not, mainly due to time and disk space, gone back and used the notes and results sections.

I am sure that troubleshooting would be much easier if homebrewers had a clear consice format.

Tom Flanagan
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Palm

Post by Freon12 »

I am sure you will have a good final product due to the effort your putting in. I only request a Palm version.

S.