Method for cleaning inside of kegs

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

adder31 wrote:i gave it a good scrub with an SOS pad and that took off the dried stuck on layer. I have it soaking in a strong oxy clean solution, will let it sit for a few days and see where we are then. thanks for the input.
It's generally not a good idea to use SOS pads or steel wool on stainless steel. Scouring can remove the oxide layer that makes stainless steel stainless resulting in rust. Carbon steel from the pad can also rub off and adhere to the stainless causing rust. If this happens, clean the affected area with an oxalic acid based cleaner like Bar Keepers Friend or Revere Copper and Stainless Cleaner and the stainless will repassivate in a few days. If you need to scour stainless one of those 3M green scrubbies is best.
BTP 2.0.22 (Linux (.deb) 64 bit)
BTP 2.0.24 (Windows 10-20H2)
BTP 2.1.0.9 Beta (Windows 10-20H2)
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by billvelek »

adder31 wrote:i gave it a good scrub with an SOS pad and that took off the dried stuck on layer. I have it soaking in a strong oxy clean solution, will let it sit for a few days and see where we are then. thanks for the input.
You shouldn't use an SOS pad to clean stainless steel ... at least that's what I've read a number of times. The iron in the pad will apparently somehow become incorporated with the stainless and affect it. I don't know whether it is strictly cosmetic and just discolors the nice shiney SS, or if it contributes to continuing corrosion.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
adder31

Post by adder31 »

Well, you live you learn. So after the Oxy soak I will give it a good cleaning with Bar Keepers, using a sponge, not SOS :)
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Too Extreme

Post by brewmeisterintng »

Some of you are going overboard like the stuff is baked into the stainless or something. I have been kegging for a year now and have never spent more than 10 minutes on a keg which includes full disassembly. OxyClean and a small brush... done.
A theory is that the surface of your stainless has become damaged (porous) and is allowing the crud to adhere.
On a side though, are the guys that are having a tough time force or naturally carbonating? I, myself, force carbonate.
I agree with Bill... No to SOS pads. If anything, use the green pads.
adder31

Post by adder31 »

I'm converting mine into a brew kettle. Came with a kegerator I bought, couldnt tell you how long it sat empty or if the guy used it for homebrew or just a deposit keg. All I know is that when I cut the top off there was what looked like thin streaks of concrete (beer stone) on the inside walls. I did a soak in PBW and used sos pad. Now I'm soaking it in a strong oxy solution and will use a plastic scrubber and then a wash with barkeepers friend per Coloradobrewers advice to repassivate the stainless.

As far as my cornys go that I force carbonate, I have never had a beer stone or build up problem. But then, 5 gallons of beer dont last a long time around my house :D
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

If what you have is beer stone, the Bar Keepers Friend will cut right through it with no problems.
adder31

Post by adder31 »

Thanks for the advice Colorado. another ? When all is done, will the inside walls of the keg be stained or shiny stainless?
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

The stains should be gone. How shiny the keg gets depends in part on how much elbow grease you're willing to apply. Have fun. :D
adder31

Post by adder31 »

Its looking good after the soak. I rinsed and then gave it a good once over with barkeepers and a stiff plastic scrub brush (no SOS :lol: ) Now I just have to pick up a step drill bit and order a weldless ball valve setup.