Mesa, Market research?

General brewing information, questions and discussion. Topics that do not seem to fit elsewhere.

Moderators: slothrob, 2row

Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

Mesa, Market research?

Post by Brewer2001 »

Eric,

Are you thinking of a startup? I took the American Brewers Guild training back in 2000 in preperation for a career change. But most of the jobs in my area have dried up....I want to put a couple of years under my belt before I even attempt to write a business plan. I have also been exploring support businesses (bottling, tap and line cleaning, etc.).

I enjoy your informative posts. Where in the country are you? Why Mesa?

Talk to you soon.

Tom Flanagan
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Market Research...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

I am presently involved in my 3rd start-up as we speak. The thread in which you saw me responding with a couple of essential steps of market research (far from complete, the questions stopped coming !) were in reply to a couple of questions by another forumite.

As far as the Mesa part, I owned and operated a microbiology laboratory that supplied yeast, formulation, contract & pilot brewing and bacteriological services to other breweries. The company was named Mesa Maltworks Brewing & Microbiological. Since most people knew my e-mail address as ericwatson@mesamaltworks.com, I simply kept the moniker to eliminate confusion and, I own that domain name. You can still view my home page www.mesamaltworks.com with a picture of my brew house at the top. As far as literally how I came up with the Mesa name, my lab was located on Mesa drive. (simple eh !) Since then, I have had people attempt to look up my firm in Arizona and New Mexico.... but no, it was in West Virginia !!! At present, I am located in Youngstown, Ohio and have incorporated my laboratory into my brewery here.

In addition to my formal brewing education I also possess a marketing degree with an emphasis on consumer behavior. If you would like assistance in evaluating carreer options and avenues in the brewing world, I would be happy to assist. As you mentioned, brewery adjunct support is one option and that is exactly what Mesa was. In my opinion, if you are interested in providing brewing services, the greatest lack of providers is in the microbiological area, which also has the potential for the highest income. The hurdles to overcome to enter this sub-field would be the specialized training required and the expense of properly equipping a lab.

Thanks for your kind comments regarding my posts... my goal is to help others brew the best beer possible while also learning new concepts and benefitting from new approaches and ideas posted by others. In this hobby/industry, there is ALWAYS much to learn !

Eric