multiple hops?

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

weedchild

multiple hops?

Post by weedchild »

I am formulating a recipe for a pale ale. I love Firestone's, and on the website it mentions three different hops for flavoring and aroma. Are there any guidelines to doing this? I have a recipe saved in the library called Junque Dunque Ail (long story on the name). Would anybody mind checking it out and commenting on the hops?

Thanks in advance.
slothrob

Multiple hops

Post by slothrob »

When I use multiple hops for flavor and aroma additions I use equal amounts of each hop.

Another option is to blend them to the same total AA, so if you chose to use 0.25 oz of Cascade at 5% aa, you'd use 0.125 oz of Amarillo at 10% aa. That second option would tend to cause the lower aa hops to dominate the flavor and aroma, though. If the beer you're trying to make seems to have as much Amarillo character as Cascade, I'd add equal amounts.

If I think the mixture is off when I taste it, I change the blend the next time I brew it. I think equal amounts of each hop is a good place to start, though. Unfortunately, we don't get Firestone beers on the East Coast, so I can't help with the specific recipe.

That looks like a nice recipe to me!
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
weedchild

thanks

Post by weedchild »

thanks for the info!