Superior Lager Yeast

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

wyleecoyote

Superior Lager Yeast

Post by wyleecoyote »

Does anyone have a BTP profile for Superior Laget Yeast? It's an Australian product, distributed by Superior Brewing Supplies in Canada. Alot of guys use it down here (Dallas) and I'd like to give iot a try.

Thanks
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

No Help Here

Post by brewmeisterintng »

I bought this yeast of EBay and asked the same questions. I ended up substituting American Lager yeast when I was running my calculations in beer tools. It fermented clean. Of course, as with any lager, you need to make a large yeast starter before pitching. I would put it in the use again catagory.
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Superior Lager Yeast

Post by wottaguy »

Hi Guy's

Here's what I have found on the net about this strain of lager yeast:

"A dry lager yeast from Australia. Medium flocculation, beers made from this yeast require extra time to settle out. Attenuation 75-78%. 7 gram pack. We found that the Superior Lager Yeast performed well at temperatures in the 50's and low 60's. Making it ideal for cooler garages, cellars, and homes."

That's about the best description I could find.

Hope this helps!

Ron (_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
wyleecoyote

re....

Post by wyleecoyote »

Thanks guys, for your help.

I think this yeast gonna take some getting used to. I pitched 14g at 56F and hit it with the air stone for a couple of hours. 72 hr. later and still no action in the fermenter......

I will ask my bud (who has turned out numerous fantastic beers with it) what the deal is and what he uses for his profile in ProMash. If anyone's ineterested in the feedback, I will post his response.

Thanks again,
Mike
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: RE: Superior Lager Yeast

Post by billvelek »

wottaguy wrote:Hi Guy's

Here's what I have found on the net about this strain of lager yeast:

"snip .... Attenuation 75-78%. ... snip
I'm probably going to sound like a newbie now, but it is said that there is no such thing as a 'stupid' question. Anyway, because I'm pretty much just a basic brewer as far as recipes go, although I'm not just a beginner -- I'm doing all grain, partigyles, making starters, and switching out hop varieties, etc. -- but not paying a lot of attention to yeast strains although I've tried several different liquid yeasts. Mostly I just use the old standby of Safale US-56 (now US-05), which has served me well, so I never pay any attention to things like rated attenuation.

Anyway, regarding listing the "attenuation" for yeast, I have a question -- but first a few comments. It is my understanding that attenuation is primarily affected by the proportion of fermentables versus non-fermentables in the wort, which is determined by the malt and grain used and the mashing schedule, but that it is also affected by fermentation conditions. Okay, so let's assume that we have ideal conditions -- perfect temperature, and adequate yeast health and starter size. Now, so that I can understand the above-statement about the attenuation of that yeast (call it "A" with the stated attenuation of 75-78%), let's create two fictitious yeasts: "B" has a rated attenuation of 70-75%, and "C" has a rated attenuation of 80-85%. Now if we use the ideal conditions for each and put them each into two samples -- one is a pure glucose solution, which should be 100% fermentable, and the other is a wort with 80% fermentables and 20% unfermentable dextrines -- and let's keep the O.G. moderate at 1.040 so that alcohol level shouldn't be an issue. What would be the outcome?

For the F.G. of the 100% fermentable glucose, will we get something like:
A=1.009-1.010
B=1.010-1.012
C=1.006-1.008
... and ...
for the F.G. of the 80% fermentable wort, will be get something like:
A=1.015-1.016
B=1.016-1.017
C=1.013-1.014

Since all of the yeast varieties can digest the same fermentables, and all of them are equally unable to ferment the dextrines, and if they all have the same ability to keep on fermenting until there are no more fermentables left (or _DO_ they?), ... then how is there a difference? Is it that one will give up looking for fermentables and flocculate sooner than the others, so it leaves undigested "fermentables" behind? If that were simply the case, then the percent of attenuation is going to depend on the O.G. I'm just curious about this.

Thanks for any info.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768