filtering and bottling

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

johnnynothumb
Light Lager
Light Lager

filtering and bottling

Post by johnnynothumb »

my question should be simple. I have a plate filter from more beer and typically only use a 2 micron roughing filter . it really cleans up any suspended particles that are left after secondary ferm. . ???? after doing this is there enough yeast left in beer to use corn sugar for priming or do i just need to pony up for a counter pressure filler ?

eric
yaturaz
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Post by yaturaz »

I am still new to this. but I have done a lot of research. I think you would need to force carbonate,because Yeasts are typically 5 to 10 microns and if you are filtering below that they probably were left behind. I wouldn't take my comments to heart yet. Wait for one of the long time brewers to reply. I just want to see if I am right.. For !@#$ and giggles sort of thing...

!@#$, I really shouldn't post after having 8 of my home brews:p
Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

filtering

Post by Legman »

I've heard that filtering takes out too much or all of the yeast. So if you're bottle conditioning, you may have to add more yeast at bottling.
That would probably be cheaper to do than a pony and counter pressure filter.
But if you're bottle conditioning, I wouldn't even bother with filtering. Just use a secondary if your wanting to get clearer beer.

As of right now, I don't use a secondary. I leave it in the primary for 2-3 weeks, then bottle. At about 6-8 weeks in the bottle it clears up really nice.....and the beer tastes a lot better after that time. Also, try some Irish Moss. It does the trick.