Bottle Condition Lager Temp

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

dljones33

Bottle Condition Lager Temp

Post by dljones33 »

I am about to bottle my first lager beer. I am just wondering what temp I need to store the bottles at in order for the carbonation to take. So far, it has spent 2 weeks in the primary and 3 weeks in the secondary at around 50 degrees so far.

Thanks!!

Doug
fire4life

Post by fire4life »

My lager that i make is kept in the living room closet and I generally keep my house at 69 degrees and the carbonation was fine when i cracked my first one three weeks after being in the bottle/...
dljones33

Post by dljones33 »

Mine is in the closet at the moment. It spent 3 weeks in the secondary, tasted pretty smooth when I bottled it. I was just concerned that room temp conditioning would introduce off flavors. It has been a week now, so I guess the damage (if any) is already done. We shall see.
Bender
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by Bender »

the colder the better and the longer the better. I've had mine at 52-55F and just tapped the keg the other day :D :D after a month now it will condition in the keg for another
Cheers
Bender
jedihoptrick

Post by jedihoptrick »

Anywhere w/in the recommended temp. range for the particular yeast strain you are using.
Bourbon BBL Lambic
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

My rule of thumb has always been to condition my beer at or around the same temps that I fermented at.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB